Chapter-36

Nova

My dad had just embraced Nicholas.
My jaw literally dropped on the floor, seeing the scene unfold in front of me.
HOW?

"Life is full of surprises, isn't it?" Carter commented.
"You knew about this!!??" I whisper yelled at him.
"Nah! I was just waiting for the right moment to say that phrase" he grinned at me.
What the hell! I rolled my eyes at him.

"Are you both going to stand there the whole time? Come on in, kids" my dad said, leading Nicholas inside.
"What is happening in the world nowadays?" I muttered under my breath.
Carter's eyes twinkled and before he could answer I raised my hand.
"Actually, don't answer that!"

I walked inside and found Nicholas and my dad sitting at the table next to each other. Nicholas said something and my dad burst into laughter and patted his back in joy.
Weird!
I looked at Carter and said,
"First when they met, they were at each other's throats. I don't know what changed"
"Aren't you happy that your father and Nicholas are getting along?"
"I am happy, Carter but it feels weird to see them like that" I replied.

Then my mom walked inside.
"Oh thank goodness" I mumbled under my breath and walked towards her.
To my surprise she didn't even notice me but instead she squealed in joy after seeing Nicholas.

"Nicholas! When did you get here, son?" she hugged him.
"Just a few minutes ago, mother" he replied hugging her back.
Mother!?
Finally, she did notice me and Carter.
"Nova!" she cried out and hugged me.
"And who is this handsome young man?" she questioned.
I rolled my eyes at that!
Carter's already cocky about himself and mom just had to boost his big ass ego.
He now had a wide grin plastered on his face.
"I am a friend of Nova and Nicholas. It's so good to meet you, Mrs. Scott"
"Likewise Carter. Please call me Louisa" she said and continued,
"Nova baby, why are you still standing there? Come on you both and take a seat. I have baked cookies" she giggled and went inside the kitchen.
"Cookies is it?"
"Told ya!" I smiled at Carter.

We both took a seat opposite to dad and Nicholas at the table.
"Why am I feeling awkward with my own parents?" I whispered to Carter.
"Hey, I can understand how you feel. I think they have made Nicholas their son because he is far too awesome than you" he whispered back.
Wtf!
"You are unbelievable! I thought you were on my side" I whispered angrily at him.
"I am. I like you very much but you have to admit Nicholas looks good with your parents" he chuckled lowly.
"Hey! I am a scientist and I am way more awesome. He is grumpy and always angry and sometimes he is such a jerk" I snapped at him.

What if it's true....what if my parents like him more than me?
"Truth hurts! But would you feel any better if I say that I am willing to adopt you?" he grinned.
"Absolutely not!" I shouted getting the attention of both Nicholas and my dad.

"Nova, are you alright? What happened?" my dad asked worriedly.
Carter stifled at laugh and I glared at him.
"Here comes the cookies" my mom chirped as she walked inside and placed the plate full of cookies on the table.
She took a seat, smiling at my dad.
What are they up to?
I turned to see Carter devouring the cookies like his life depended on it.
"This is so good! Mrs. Scott. Can I take these with me?" he questioned, stuffing a cookie in his mouth.
"Sure dear. Feel free to take as many as you like" my mom smiled at him.

"Nova, why aren't you eating any?" she questioned innocently.
Seriously? You want me to eat cookies and pretend like nothing is going on?
"She looks quite pale. Are you feeling well, kiddo?" dad questioned.
I got up from the table, getting everyone's attention.
I glanced at Nicholas who had a small smirk playing on his lips.