Chapter-42

Nova

Dread and darkness!

And there I was, stuck between the two.
There was panic and yelling all around but nothing fazed me.

I felt completely blank.

A voice called out my name but it felt so distant.
"Nova!" someone shouted and abruptly shook my shoulders.

I blinked and saw Nicholas looking at me in worry.
"The carriage has arrived. We are leaving this instant" he stated looking into my eyes.

I just stared back at him, unable to respond.

His rough calloused fingers gripped my wrist as he guided me through the door and into the carriage.

"Brother, I am taking the lead. Henry and the other men will arrive later on with the intruder" Carter said and mounted his horse.

Then I watched him speeding away into the woods.

Nicholas got in and shut the door and the carriage started moving quicker than ever.

He took my hand in his and intertwined our fingers.
"Are you alright?" He questioned, his eyes filled with worry.

Then all of a sudden I could remember the 5 year old me who stood on the porch and waited for mom and dad everyday until the day I got the dreadful news of their death.

Before I knew it tears trickled down my cheeks and I broke into a series of sobs.

He gently lifted me and placed me on his lap. He wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head.

"We will save them, I promise" he whispered and held me tighter.

"I-I am going…to lose t-them.. again" I choked on my words and cried harder resting my head on his chest.

"Shh… be strong, love. You will not lose them" he tried consoling me and rubbed my back.

I couldn't stop crying as every passing second felt tormenting.
His shirt was drenched but he didn't seem to care as he wiped my tears and peppered kisses on my face lovingly.

I needed him the most at the moment and he was there for me.
I couldn't be more grateful for that!

****

As we approached nearer to the city my chest tightened in fear.

I prayed hard, hoping that my parents were alright.

We rode towards the lake, nearing the cottage my parents lived at to see many soldiers with lit up torches lingering around the place.

After getting a little closer I could make out that the entire house was charred and burnt as little smoke evaporated into the air.

I gasped in horror.

Were they… dead?

One of the soldiers approached us and greeted Nicholas before saying,

"Sire, we extinguished the fire and searched all over inside. Seems like they were not here when this happened" 

I sighed in immense relief.

"You may leave then. Stay on guard and watch out for intruders" Nicholas ordered and then we rode towards the other side.

"If not here, then where could they be?" I questioned in agitation.

"Calm down princess. I am sure that they are at the cabin I made for you near the falls, to build that machine of yours" he said.

Oh! I had forgotten about that place.