IV.

Henry

I had no appetite since the last full moon a fortnight ago.
My interest in everyday activities continued dwindling carelessly but in an instant, she pacified them all.

The beating of my chest came to a standstill as I took in her hypnotic eyes. It was a gaze that could make even the wisest of rulers forget how to breathe. Each speck of brown that rested in her black orbs had iced my lifeline.

Was I selfish for taking her in features at a time like this? A moment where my life was threatened?

"What are they?" I inquire, forcing her into submission. She looked at me with her soft brown eyes but in them rested resentment. I could see the story of her life, the hatred she held for me, and the fear she possessed as I rested my palms against her throat.

"Speak!" I barked. The ice in my voice made her eyes snap shut.

"Pine Nuts" she cursed, gently turning her neck to remind me of my grip. Her luscious brown lips formed into a frown, tempting me into a stupor of fragility. Shiny black curls rolled against her features as the cool breeze blew though the air.

"So I was right! You are trying to poison me" I yell, still staring her down.

No woman merely traveled to the forest, accidentally meeting the king and his lone horse? She was most likely a spy from the neighboring kingdom or a conspirator. She was a vision; so it was easy to be lulled by her beauty.

Those were the best assassins.

"Pine nuts are filling and keep the levels of stress down. They are not poisoned," she explains, pushing her soft palm mine. Goosebumps raced against my core as I felt her warmth. It was a feeling that had been absent since the beginning of my rule.

"What is your name," I said, making sure to mask my interest.
She had certainly sparked my appetite; everything about her was mesmerizing. Black skin as deep as a warm onyx stone with hair as wild as the rolling sun.

She, of course, refused to answer me, only studying my features.

"I said...what is your name girl" I repeated again, this time firmer, desperate to familiarize myself with her title. She ignored me still, only staring into my eyes.

Minutes passed before a stubborn smirk morphed her features; her plump limps curled up, testing the strength of my temperance.

Anna

His eyes were crazy...they looked almost... deranged; as if there was a spirit inside him trying to break free. My stinted breaths were the only thing that tolled in the air as we watched each other.

He observed me carefully, looking into my eyes then down to my lips. "I said...what is your name girl" he repeated again.

"Anna!" I hear Catherine's voice in the distance. She was probably calling me to start my duties for dinner tonight. in the kitchen.

"Let go and I will tell you" I whisper, testing to see if his sanity was still sound. He was still in a trance as we watched each other; it was a bit humorous at this point.  I couldn't hide the smirk that painted my lips.

"This is funny to you girl?" he snaps. Tighter and tighter his grip grew and it was then that I knew my command was wasted.
It didn't hurt to try.

"Anna" I mutter, trying to remind him of the grip around my neck. He tightens it a smidge before looking again to my lips.

"They are Pine nuts...that's all," I whisper, trying to fill his head with sense. He watches me, still skeptical of my words; his grip around my neck was still secure.

Why did it seem like the more I spoke, the tighter it became?

He lifts his free palm that rested against the bark, before running a warm palm against the cusp of my ear. Goosebumps instantly filled my spine as I feel his fingers trail against my skin.

I couldn't say I hated his touch...it was unfamiliar yet filled me with warmth.

He looks at my palm filled with nuts before slowly allowing his grip to loosen.

A lazy stagger greets his feet as he pulls away from my body, finally snapping into his senses.

I rushed to collect my basket and fallen herbs he had scattered across the floor. The king continued watching me carefully as I kneeled against the grass, taking a napkin from my tote and wrapping it around the small pile of nuts. I pushed it by the tree for his consumption. Whatever he decided to do with them was up to his will.

He tries to open his mouth to say something but before I afforded him the chance, I turn on my heel and return to the palace.