37

Anna

I run with the note clasped between my legs.
Faster and faster my feet travel until I am behind my familiar tree in the outskirts of the palace. My head rests in between my knees as I cried and cried.

I hear footsteps and turn around to see Thomas.
"I thought I might find you hear" he whispers.

I smile trying not to cry. "How did you know I was here?"

"Catherine always said to look for you here"

Before long, I was in his arms crying. My tears stained his neck and shirt as I sobbed. What had I done? How have I gotten myself into such a mess.

Thomas runs his palm against my back, pacyfying me until I could cry no more.

"I'm sorry Thomas.
I thought I could do it.
I thought I could be the woman you wanted me to be but..."

"Don't say it Anna."

I am silent.

"What happened to the girl who I first met. There was a vigor in her? A fire? The girl who demanded the attention in the room."

"She died. Henry killed her"

"Henry?" He looked at me before smiling.

I nod. "He has taken Catherine
And Thayne.
He is dwindling my sanity by taking those close to me.
He will take you from me soon..."

He looks to the floor as if he had a secret. (Remember the king hired Thomas to be the Queen's painter...and cough cough")

"I need you as my friend. My confidant.
Please..." He lets go understanding the reason for the kiss we shared days prior. It couldn't happen again.

"Right. ...Friends" he mutters.

"Thomas I'm sorry if I led you on. I was scared.
Confused.
Tired. I shouldn't have done it."

"Don't sound so remorseful Anna" he sounded insulted and sad.

"Thomas that's not what I meant... I very much enjoyed it but...with my feelings for Thayne and then—" he stood mid sentence and stormed off.

"Thomas? What's wrong?" I reach out to touch his arm but he pulls away.

"I have to go Anna. Duty calls" He kisses my palm before departing.

He was giving me the cold shoulder and that is the last thing I wanted.

——-

Next day

I had no idea what to do with myself since Henry and I were on rather unpleasant terms. My feet lead me to the royal court where a few older men were screaming about sanctions and the kingdom. I had clearance as the kings official taster so I could enter and exit the court any time. I suppose I could pass time in here.

"Anna?" A guard calls my name.
I turn to face him.
"The king requests for your presence in the court"

"For what reason?"

"We don't question the king. I suggest you don't either" he warns before turning to depart.

I scan the crowds for Henry and see him immediately. He was fawning over some busty redhead in the ladies in waiting section.
She looked young. Around my age.
She was oblivious to the attention she possessed.
Once you had the most powerful ruler's attention, the world was in the palm of your hand.

Poor girl. I pitied her. Henry would use her and dispose of her, just as he did me.

I continued watching him from a distance. Henry didn't care to avert his gaze at the girl. The chancellors knew it, the gentry, and the bodies of attendees. He was shameless!