45

Thomas

I grab Anna as she leaves the royal court. She snatches her arm away, thinking I was an unwanted stranger. "Thomas!" her features soften into a smile. 

"Come" I whisper and lead her to a secluded area near the exterior.

"Thomas" she hugs me, "I miss you so much" I return it warmly and smile, grabbing her arms with care. "How are you?"

"Better, now that I have seen you" She smiles warmly but frowns. "Where's Thayne?"

I peer behind the corner, making sure the coast was clear before leading her towards the barn."Follow me. Quickly." We walk calmly then increase our pace as we near the wooden barn that housed the horses.

"Thayne!" She screams excitedly, running over to him.

"Anna" he smiles and welcomes her embrace, kissing her passionately. I could feel the sting of my heart as I saw their happy reunion. He places her down and their stare into each other's eyes in longing; it was a look that never greeted mine. Thoughts of Anna still plagued my mind; no amount of fucking would ease that.

"I am so glad you are safe." Anna frowns, guilt instantly hitting her.

"As I am. Thanks to Thomas over here." The mention of my name snaps me from my misery. Thayne walks over and pats my shoulder gently. "And Henry doesn't suspect a thing."

Anna

I kiss Thayne again, wiping his lips as I see my lip stain across his skin. "I am sorry Thayne. I shouldn't have said anything. When Henry told me Lady Seymour was pregnant...I saw..."

"Pregnant?" Thayne laughs, "Is an heir to the throne what this kingdom needs?" I stare at the ground, playing with my thumbs. "I understand" Thayne swallows, watching me carefully. He could tell my feelings for Henry were still unsettled but knew better than to pry.  

I turn around and ran to hug Thomas once more. "Thank you, Thomas. I can't thank you enough"

"I'll leave you to it. I must go entertain the queen" He admits sheepishly.

"The queen? What? Since when have you--"

"I have to go. Goodbye" he says sharply before turning on his heel.

"No! Thomas, I don't care what she says. We haven't seen each other in ages. I miss you, friend."

"Yea." he mutters. I watch him carefully as I watch his features. He looked restless; as if something unsettling was on his mind. "Come." I whisper, pushing his palm into mine and walking to the spot where our friendship once blossomed.

——

"Is the queen that dreadful?" I giggle, throwing a small petal into the air so the wind could catch it. We sat by the tree for what seemed like hours, laughing and catching up on good old times.

"Even more dreadful than I once imagined. Your accolades did not do her justice" He smirks, sarcasm lacing his tone.  We both chuckle and let the steady silence of the environment steer our conversation. 

"Henry says she is pregnant" I whisper.

"Yes...I suppose she is" Thomas looks to the floor, pushing his head of curls against the tree. 

"Is...I mean...it might be..yours?"

"No...no" he shakes his head furiously. "It can't be. The timeline doesn't match." 

I hum and take another petal off the flower. I was not one to judge. I had no right. I was sleeping with a man who had exiled his first wife, killed his third wife, and murdered the pope. I was no saint. But I worried for Thomas. Being involved with a royal was more trouble than it was worth.