29 | Join The Flock

Start from the beginning

I continued my stretching, watching Levitt and he spoke quietly, licking his lips. "I probably shouldn't be telling you this, but-- but they'll mess with your minds, try and amp up your emotions. It's crucial that you keep control."

Just then, the door beeped and opened. Anders, along with five others walked into the room.

"These will be your training partners," the man spoke and he and the five others walked to the front of the room. "For the next 12 weeks, you will eat, sleep, and train with them and with no one else. Though you five were not born in the cause, everybody has the ability within them to serve humanity. Give everything to the group. Trust in the process. Trust in each other. For all mankind."

The five others repeated this grace in unison before Anders continued. "We'll start with some simple sparring. Please, choose a partner."

I looked at all five people before choosing a man with short, cropped hair and brown eyes.

"You may begin."

The man I was going to spar with walked forward quickly, fists up. He threw a punch my way, which I easily dodged before punching the man in the stomach. He groaned in pain before I brought my elbow down on his back, causing him to fall to the floor in pain. When I looked up, I saw Octavia, Echo, Diyoza, and Hope had just as easily won against their partners.

"I was trained by a level 12," Hope spoke confidently to Anders, who looked impressed. "What else you got?"

"Orlando taught you well," the man spoke. "It's not surprising. I was his mentor."

"Huh. It's a shame he had to die."

"It is, a loss to the cause," Anders spoke, shifting his weight on his feet. "He was one of our best, but I believe Dev had a hand in your training as well... Answer me, trainee. Wasn't Dev your surrogate father?"

Hope shook her head. "I'm not gonna talk about him with you."

"Well, then perhaps you're not ready yet."

"Are we here to talk or fight?" I blurted in annoyance. I'm getting tired of this bickering. "Sir."

"Have you made a note of these responses, Mr. Levitt?" Anders asked, causing Levitt to nod.

"Yes, sir."

"Hmm."

Just then, Levitt spoke, turning to the man beside him. "May I speak with you, sir? They've given me an idea."

Anders nodded. "Of course... Octavia, Zora, slower."

I stood off to the side with Echo, Hope, and Diyoza. I watched as Octavia fought with her sparring partner, eventually winning, of course. The girl stood beside Echo, fist-bumping Diyoza who had her fist held out.

°°°

I ran through the halls of the Ark, trying to find a way out. I turned a corner, stopping when I saw an open door. I furrowed my eyebrows slightly as I made my way to the door. When I reached it, I looked inside to see Anders, holding a baby in his arms; my baby. It was a baby girl.

"Is that her?" I asked softly as I walked into the room. The man nodded. "Can I see her?"

Just then, a sudden unbearable pain formed in my stomach and I looked down to see blood seeping onto my shirt. I became weak, my legs giving out from under me.

I cringed as held my stomach, Anders walking toward me. "It's too bad you won't be here to hold her."

I closed my eyes, shaking my head. I wanted to scream, to shout at the man, but then I remembered something; it's a simulation. This is all a test and I have to pass it. I remembered the phrase for all mankind. It must mean we treat everyone equally or something, no selfish love.