04 | Sandstorms And Worms

I winced slightly as Clarke bandaged my forearm. Whatever had come from that gun had done a number on us. We lost a few people, others were severely injured. I had managed to make it out almost unharmed; the ringing in my ears had stopped and my hearing had gone back to normal but my head still pounded slightly.

"You're all set," the blonde girl announced, causing me to look at her. I gave her a small smile, thanking her. "If you had been any closer to that blast, you probably would've had much worse than this."

I only shrugged, pulling my sleeve down over my arm. "What can I say? I'm a bit of a cockroach; and I've survived worse."

The girl smiled as she stood from her chair. "Mind helping with the wounded for a bit?"

I just shrugged, standing and following Clarke out of the building.

°°°

I helped Clarke with the wounded until Jackson took my place. I then looked around for something to do. I walked toward some men who were trying to lift some of the rubble off the hatch to the bunker so we could get inside. Just as I was about to help, I heard Bellamy's voice.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow down." I turned and saw him and Clarke standing in front of Miller and a grounder. "Where are you going?"

"Wish I could tell you, Bellamy," Miller stated.

"Octavia told you not to?"

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly as I made my way toward the four. When I reached them, Clarke looked at me. "What's going on?"

"They're going to Shallow Valley," Clarke blurted. My head shot to Miller, an eyebrow raised.

The girl walked past me, and Miller called out her name. When she didn't answer, Miller said it louder, grabbing the Clarke's arm. I followed close behind Bellamy. "You can't just do whatever the hell you want here."

"I'm guessing you're moving ahead of the army," Clarke said, "to scout forward terrain. Which route are you taking?" Miller was silent. "It's sandstorm season. The wind moves in a predictable path. I've made the trip dozens of times. Trust me. You need my help."

°°°

Miller led us to one of the buildings, opening the doors.

"Why? What are you thinking?" I heard Indra say.

"My question exactly," Clarke blurted.

A woman, Cooper, looked at Miller with a stern face. "Miller, your orders were to go--"

"I know my orders. I think we should listen to what Clarke has to say."

"You can't take the sea route," Clarke stated, shaking her head.

Indra furrowed her eyebrows. "Why? You said the sea is gone. Is it passable or not?"

"Yes, maybe. But you have to understand--"

"Maybe's good enough for me. Let's move out," Octavia interrupted. She began walking toward the doors, but Bellamy stepped in front of her.

"O."

I tensed slightly as three of Octavia's people cocked their guns and pointed them at Bellamy.

"Stand down," Octavia ordered.

"Please, O, just hear us out."

The girl looked at Clarke as she spoke. "Octavia, we're all on the same team. No one wants to get to that valley more than me. It's my home... But this way is too risky."

"Risky how?" Indra asked.

Octavia spoke, "Show me."

Clarke walked toward the map. "You chose the shortest route, which makes sense, but the dry seabed is hit by almost constant sandstorms."