13 | Red Sun

"I am getting used to patching you up, Murphy," Jackson joked as he patched up Murphy's shoulder from where Emori had stabbed him. We had gone into the closest open building, Bellamy restraining Emori with one of the many restraints on the walls.

"I guess we know what the restraints are for," Bellamy stated.

"How long will she be out?" Echo asked.

"The sedative in the tranq-stick should last up to three hours," Jackson answered.

"Okay, what about the mothership?' Miller asked, his arms crossed over his chest.  "They're gonna think it's us. How do we warn them?"

Bellamy shook his head. "We don't. Radio's don't work down here. For now, we worry about ourselves. Murphy, are you okay?"

"His wounds are superficial," Jackson said. "You're lucky."

Murphy gave the man a look at he spoke. "I'm lucky? Sorry, is that your professional diagnosis because if so, you suck at being a doctor."

I rolled my eyes. "Murphy--"

"What?" The boy interrupted me. I said nothing, pursing my lips which caused Murphy to speak again. "No, what? I'm dying to know what he thinks turned my girlfriend into a monster that just attacked me."

"It's all right here," Clarke suddenly spoke. I turned to her as she read the book in her hands. "'For two days, heaven is hell, and friends become foes'. Whatever's in the air, it affects people, too."

I turned to Miller when he spoke, his eyebrows furrowed. "Why are the rest of us okay?"

"I don't know, but according to this, it comes from the plants."

"It's a children's book," Murphy spat.

My head snapped to him, as I gave him a look. "Yeah, but it's coming true. When we were running from the bugs, Emori went down in the brush. It's probably why she lost it first."

"First?" Echo asked, an eyebrow raised.

Bellamy looked at her. "We're all breathing it in."

"If it's the air out there, then we'll stay in here. We are gonna ride it out." I gave Miller a confused look.

"That's a great plan, Miller." I rolled my eyes once again and turned my head to Murphy. "What happens when we're trapped in here and the rest of us lose our minds?"

"Murphy's right," Bellamy spoke as he stood from the small chair he sat in. He looked at the group. "There's more restraints in the school. I'm guessing they're everywhere. We need to separate."

"I'll stay with Emori," Echo said.

°°°

I walked into the school with Bellamy, locking the door behind me. I handed the boy my gun before going to one of the restraints.

"Okay. Echo's with Emori," Bellamy explained to Clarke and Murphy, who were also in the room. "Jackson is with Miller upstairs. No one's armed. Now it's our turn. Gun."

Murphy looked at Bellamy before reluctantly handing his gun over. I could practically feel the tension between Clarke and Murphy, causing me to raise an eyebrow slightly.

"What'd we miss?" Bellamy asked, also feeling the tension. Neither of them answered. "Okay. Consider this time to work out your differences." Bellamy set the guns down, far away from all of us before grabbing the restraint Murphy was gonna use. "Okay. Let's do this... Now, Murphy."

Once he finished strapping Murphy in, stuffing the key into his pocket, he did it to me, taking my key and giving it to Clarke.

"Why do you get to have all the keys?" Murphy asked, clearly annoyed with everything that's going on.