Chapter Nine

I woke up early the next morning to cook breakfast for Rich and Skye. I started on the homemade Cheddar Biscuits first, then shredded some potatoes for the hash-browns. I put the bacon on, and the southwest eggs were last. I absolutely hate coffee but I put a pot on it.

After I plated everything and set the table I went and woke Skye up. This little girl sleeps just like her father; all over the place. I pulled the covers back from her sleeping face and tapped lightly on her shoulders. She didn't budge. My baby don't play about her sleep.

"Skye, come on mama, it time to get up" I said softly while sitting her up.

"Do I have to?" She slowly opened her beautiful hazel eyes.

"Yeees you have to, now come on. Get up. Go wash your face and brush your teeth."

"I wan stay with you"

She looked up at me after rinsing her mouth. She already has me wrapped around her finger; I just can't say no.

"I tell you what. Let's get you dressed and ready to eat breakfast and then we'll figure something out. Deal?"

"Deal!" She grinned. Running back into her room.

I got her dressed and put her hair up in a high bun, then carried her down stairs to her place at the table. I was pouring her juice and putting a napkin over her shirt when I heard Rich enter the room.

"My two favorite ladies" he smiled and kissed my cheek and then Skye's, with his hand rested on the pudge of my stomach.

"How y'all doin" he asked looking into my eyes.

"We're fine" I said, knowing he meant me and baby Reynolds.

I sat him down and put his plate in front of him, then went to make his coffee. I came back with his coffee mug and sat down beside him.

"You're not eating?" He asked with mouth full of eggs.

"I can't"

Seriously, I can't hold anything in the morning; it sucks completely because I love breakfast food. I'll just fix a plate and save it for later. But for now I'm good.

"I'm sorry" he wrapped his arm around me looking sympathetic.

They finished up breakfast and I washed dishes before going to get Skye's backpack. I packed her an extra pair of clothes and underwear, her favorite baby doll, and went back downstairs to pack some chips and a juice box.

"Where yall goin?" Rich asked following up behind me.

"Uh.. Business" I giggled, turning to walk into his arms.

"Don't be like that" he said pouting

"I have to pick up my books for the summer session and then Skye and I are going to the mall"

"I thought that we agreed you wouldn't do this term?" He mumbled, letting go of me and leaning on the counter.

"Nooooo you agreed that. I said I'd think about it; Besides I'm doing the courses online anyway" I shrugged my shoulders and responded.

"You really don't need to be stressing like you did last semester, especially not now Quanni" he said looking down at my stomach.

That's starting to get on my nerves already.

"I won't Rich, and I'm not putting school on hold, so get that out of your head now" I shot back probably with a little too much attitude. As usual.

"You know that's not what I mean"

There it was, he was clenching his jaw and that eyebrow started to twitch. Typical signs of him getting mad.

"Sorry" I mumbled. I just shook my head and left the room.