Chapter Twenty-Three

Bunni pictured above.
*Rich POV*

I sit there on the couch, holding her in my arms while she cried into my chest. She hadn't said one word yet, just tears. I feel her pain; I was once in her shoes.

"W-what do you mean she's dying Rich?"

I picked her up and positioned her to face me. She looked into my eyes searching for answers that I just couldn't give her. I've already said too much.

"Sweets, I really can't tell you that. You'll just have to let her tell you in person."

"What? No... That's not fair! How long have you two known this?" She sat up and waited for a response.

"She only told Stephon this morning, and he called me."

She grabbed her temples and pushed her hair back out of her face. Her tears were flowing freely down her face.

"How could she keep this from us?" She cried out.

I honestly didn't know the answer to that so I kept quiet and just held her.

"Whyyy? How could this happen? My mommy is the sweetest person in the world... Why should she have to die?"

"Same thing I said." I mumbled softly to her.

My mind went back to the day I received the news about my mother's car accident; I remember it like it was yesterday.

*
*

"Hey dad, is it okay if I meet Rhea and go to the park?"

I ask, standing at the doorway of his office. He looked busy doing paperwork but I was too bored out of my mind to care. Summer vacation had just started and I was more than ready to get into something.

"Sure Jr. Have yourself back here before the street lights come on. Dinner is at 8." He looked up from behind his glasses.

Dad was a quiet man, he never really spoke if it wasn't necessary. He's always been uniformed and levelheaded. Though he was soft spoken, he never let me forget that he was the man of the house.

"Thanks dad, see you later." I quickly turned on my feet and rushed upstairs to grab my basketball.

On the way out of the door dad called me again. Slightly annoyed I rush back into the house to his office.

"Yes sir?"

"Have you heard anything from your mom? She was supposed to be here at 4." He said looking down at his watch.

It was now 5:45 pm and I didn't have much time to be out, so I didn't have time to figure out where mom was.

"Not since she called around lunch time... Can I go now dad? Rhea's waiting." I say looking toward the door at her.

I didn't know too many other kids in the neighborhood, and the boys from the south side changed on me when we left the hood, so it just me and Rhea. Her twin sister Leah wasn't into sports so she never came to the park with us.

"What's up my boy?" She dapped me as soon as I opened the door.

"Rhea, you are such a tomboy."

"So, my man likes it." She rolled her eyes and put her hands on her hips.

"Whatever come on, let's go win this match before it starts to get dark." I say rushing down the steps of my porch.

"Rich, you're almost sixteen years old and you still got a curfew?"

"What your mom don't care if you're out all night?" I say looking at her bounce the ball between her legs as we walk down the sidewalk.