𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞

CHAPTER TWELVE:I COULDN'T PROTECT HER

CHAPTER TWELVE:
I COULDN'T PROTECT HER

A GROAN FELL FROM HER lips as she started to wake up. Artemis frowned as she looked around at the unfamiliar place. She sat up, looking at the blanket that covered her body. She removed the blanket, standing up and almost falling in the process. She quickly caught her balance. Artemis narrowed her eyes on the set of clothes that were there, next to a bathroom. She entered, looking around before noticing the sticky note on the mirror, claiming for her to take as long as a shower as she wanted. And she did. She got undressed from the gown she had been placed in, smiling in delight as the water hit her skin. It wasn't necessarily hot, but it wasn't cold either and it felt amazing against her skin.

When she got out, she dried herself off with a towel placed there and then put on the clothing that had been laid out for her. It was a pair of jeans, and plain white top. She brushed through her hair, letting it air dry before she slipped on some socks and opened the door. There were people going back and forth, some laughing, some showing their powers to others. Where was she?

Her eyes then landed on a woman with green hair, cocking her head slightly. She was familiar. Lorna turned away from Marcos and John, her eyes watching Artemis as the girl looked around the facility that was thriving with a few mutants they had found and rescued. The two men followed Lorna's eyeline, noticing the redhead that was utterly confused.

"I don't know whether or not to approach her." Lorna mumbled towards the two. "I don't want to scare her."

"Just explain to her where she is. I'm going to go wake Aph." John told the green haired woman who nodded her head in response, watching as he walked away.

Lorna carefully made her way towards Artemis. The young girl turned her head and noticed Lorna approaching her, making her take a step back, swallowing thockly. Lorna held out her hands, showing Artemis that she meant no harm. "Artemis? I'm Lorna. I-"

"You're one of my mother's friends." Artemis finished. Lorna sent her a gentle smile, nodding her head. "Where am I? Is this another hallucination-"

"No, not a hallucination. I promise." Lorna quickly told her. "You're at the Mutant Underground. A place where all mutants are welcomed and can live as they are."

"My mom, did you find her? Did you get her-?" Artemis quickly asked.

"We did." Lorna nodded. "She's still asleep. While we're waiting for her, would you like something to eat?"

Artemis was surprised at this. She had only been captive for two, almost three weeks, and she completely forgot what it had meant to be free. Maybe that's because it was her father that had caused the damage to her, she wasn't sure. But, as she looked at Lorna, she gave her a shy smile. "Yes, please."

"Come on. Let's go pick you out something."

"Y-you're letting me pick?" Artemis quizzed. Lorna nodded her head. "Sorry. I know I'm acting like I've been captive for months on end. I'm just a little. . ."