𝐍𝐢𝐧𝐞

CHAPTER NINE:ALONE ISN'T AN OPTION

CHAPTER NINE:
ALONE ISN'T AN OPTION

THE FOUR WALKED THROUGH THE door of the Mutant Underground, most mutants asleep seeing as it was past midnight. Except for Sage. When Sage heard the doors open, she immediately shot up from the computers, running until she was able to see Aphrodite standing at the entrance.

"Winter." She called, grabbing the group of fours attention. "I know where Artemis is."

Aphrodite exchanged a look with John before she practically jumped over the steps, landing in front of Sage who quickly led her to the computers. She pointed to the map that now had a circle surrounding it and Aphrodite felt her breath hitch in her throat. Her shoulders tense, the joking from earlier completely gone from her face as she felt her powers start to roam in her hands. She clenched her jaw and her fists, pushing away from the table as she shook her head.

"That can't be right." Aphrodite muttered mostly to herself.

"Aph, what is it?" John quickly asked. The other four mutants looked at the woman as she just shook her head.

"Winter?" Lorna frowned.

"That's uh-," She ran a hand through her hair. "My husband told me about this place. Artemis was only five at the time, so I completely forgot about it. So I forgot he sort of owned a lab because his father was a scientist and did crazy ass experiments."

"What are you saying?" Marcos frowned.

Aphrodite looked at the four, her eyes lingering on John's before they moved to Lorna and Marcos. "What I'm saying is. . . that building has been closed ever since his father died when Artemis was seven. That was seven, almost eight years ago. There's no way to get into it. It's secured twenty-four-seven, and there's a fingerprint and a password that you have to use to get into it."

"Maybe someone found his father's password written somewhere?" Lorna suggested.

"No. Ronnie never wrote anything down because he memorized everything. He was a very paranoid man and feared that something like this would happen, so no one, not even Damien's mother, knew the password. Not the workers. Just Ronnie." Aphrodite continues. "When, uh, when Ronnie was on his deathbed, Damien told me that his father had given him the password, and hoped that he would continue his works."

"What exactly was his work?" John quizzed.

Aphrodite looked at him. "The study of mutants. How they worked. How far they could be pushed. That's why I was surprised that Damien still stayed with me after he found out what I was." She ran a hand through her red locks. "Before he knew about me, he brought me there. A few times actually per my request."

"So you know the place?" Lorna questioned.

"I mean. . . I haven't been there since I was fifteen. I'm thirty-two, so it's been more than ten years."

"I can try and find a 3D version of the building." Sage spoke up. "Maybe it'll help you remember." Aphrodite nodded her head at this.

"Alright. Everyone get some sleep. We have a rescue mission in the morning." John told the group. They all nodded before walking away.

"I'll get the model to you in the morning." Sage promised, placing a hand on the woman's shoulder before walking away. Aphrodite stood there, staring at the circled part on the map. John watched the girl, crossing his arms over his chest as he took a few steps closer.

"This just. . . This isn't matching up at all, John." Aphrodite whispered, shaking her head. "I'm missing something. I just can't. . . I can't remember. It's like there's a mental block put up and I can't get past it."

"Isn't your whole thing involving the mind?" John asked.

"To a certain extent." Aphrodite explained. "If there was a mental block put up by someone other than me, then I have no way getting past it without using my powers on myself, and possibly killing myself. My main thing is manipulation of the mind to see what I want you to see. Sometimes to help retain a memory, it just. . . it depends on the person."

"We're getting her back tomorrow, no matter what it takes, alright?" John softly told her.

"John, I should do this on my own-"

"When are you going to get it into your head, that alone isn't an option?" John asked her. Aphrodite searched his eyes, unsure of exactly what it was that she was looking for. "You are not alone in this. Not anymore." He looked in the girls eyes until she finally nodded her head in response, the male nodding back. "Get some rest, alright?"

"Alright." She whispered before watching him walk away. She let out a soft sigh before making her way towards her bedroom, closing the door behind her. She took the braids out of her hair, changing into her night clothes before looking down at the pictures on her dresser. She looked at the one with just herself and Artemis before softly saying, "I'm coming, Art. I promise."