𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER FORTY-THREE:❝︎A Little Tough Love❞︎

❝︎A Little Tough Love❞︎

WHEN NEWS CAME THAT A GIRL MATCHING JAZMINE'S DESCRIPTION APPEARED AT A STATION IN ALEXANDRIA, APHRODITE COULDN'T BE MORE HAPPY. Clarice and Lauren went to tell Cristina who was sitting on the steps not too far from the apartment door. Aphrodite was the only one in the apartment. John had went to talk to Marcos and although she was sure he would've been back by now, she chose not to question it. Laying in her bed, Zingo had her head on her lap, looking at her with sleepy blue eyes. She glanced up when she heard the door open.

     "Which one is it?" Aphrodite called.

     Cristina popped her head inside the door of Aphrodite's room. "Just me. Where's John?"

     "Well, as far as I know, he's just talking to Marcos." Aphrodite shrugged. She offered her a small smile. "Get some rest."

     "Goodnight."

     "Goodnight." She watched as Cristina closed the bedroom door before walking down to Artemis's room. Aphrodite continued to sit there, letting her fingers run through Zingo's fur. The dog had fallen asleep, soft snores falling from her mouth. Aphrodite smiled. "John's going to be mad that I let you sleep in the bed. I should go to sleep before he yells at me, huh." She pressed a kiss to the top of Zingo's head before making herself comfortable and laying down. Just as she was about to sleep, the door to the apartment opened and closed before the door to the bedroom opened.

     "Seriously, Aph." John mumbled, noticing Zingo lying next to her. He sighed, taking off his shoes before climbing in next to her and wrapping and arm around her waist. He pressed a kiss to her head before closing his eyes and allowing himself to fall asleep.

The next morning, he was the first to wake up. He noticed Zingo had made herself comfortable in her dog bed that was placed in the corner of the room. He placed an arm behind his head, staring up at the ceiling with his mind running on high. He glanced towards Aphrodite when she started moving, telling him she was beginning to wake up. She turned to face him, trying to blink the sleep from her eyes. She reached for him and he grabbed her hand, rubbing his thumb across it.

     "How long have you been awake?" Aphrodite whispered, sleep filling her voice.

     "I'm just thinking." John assured her, shaking his head. He pressed a kiss to her hand. "Go back to sleep."

     Aphrodite looked at him. "What did you and Marcos talk about?"

      John softly sighed. "I'm going to go see Evangeline."

     This woke Aphrodite up. "What?"

     "It's the only way I knew how to give him hope. He thinks the Inner Circle is up to something."