𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR:EVACUATE

EVACUATE

     "SO, WHO IS SHE ANYWAYS?" Andy questioned John.

     "She's a refugee escaped from jail." John answered, his eyes glancing towards Aphrodite who was sitting on the chair they had placed down for her, concentrating on trying to keep Clarice's powers under control. It seemed to be working so far.

      "Jail?" Lauren frowned.

     "We found her."

     "What did she do?"

     "She used a portal to steal food from the back of a supermarket. Happens a lot with mutants who can't pass for human; they can't get jobs, one thing leads to another. . ." John was quickly cut of by a gasp leaving Clarice's lips. Aphrodite clenched her jaw, trying her best to get control, but Clarice was beating her, a portal starting to open.

     "It's happening." Aphrodite muttered. "I can't control it."

     "Mom." Artemis frowned, watching a blood started falling from her mother's nose.

     "I'm fine." Aphrodite muttered. "Close the portal." Artemis did as her mother asked, walking over to Lauren and looking at her and watching as Lauren nodded before she grabbed onto the blonde's wrist, taking it upon herself to help Lauren close the portal.

     "That was way too close." Andy breathed.

     "I'll be back in a minute." John told them before his eyes landed on Artemis. "Anything happens, you yell."

     "Got it." Artemis nodded before watching him walk off. Artemis turned her head to look at the siblings, a small frown falling on her face as she crossed her arms over her chest. When Andy commented about soda, Artemis walked out of the room before coming back with two sodas un her hands. "Here." She handed one to both of the siblings.

     "Thanks." Lauren smiled, to which Artemis nodded. Lauren watched the redhead for a moment, before walking over to her as she sat down on the bench. "Thanks for helping me."

     "I hadn't a doubt in my mind you could do it by yourself." Artemis told her. "I just felt dumb standing around and doing nothing, especially while my mom is stretching her powers in hopes of controlling whatever it is that's going on with Clarice."

     "She's your mom." Lauren whispered, a small smile falling on her face.

     "Best mom I could ask for." Artemis smiled, nodding her head. "We've been through so much together, after all the shit that happened with my asshole of a father, this is the last thing that we need. If we have to evacuate. . ."

     "We won't let that happen." Lauren grabbed her hand. "You and I, we'll try and close as many as we can, alright? We'll do our best to keep your home a stable place to live."