𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐰𝐨

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO:SAVE HIMSELF

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO:
SAVE HIMSELF

     "ALL RIGHT, LISTEN UP." JOHN said just as a yawn escaped Artemis' lips. Aphrodite glanced down at her daughter before wrapping an arm around her shoulders and smiling as the girl nuzzled into her mother's side. "Been talking with other stations. Sentinel Services is ramping up surveillance across the board. So it looks like things are getting worse before they get better."

     "Well, we could've figured that out with out knowing that information." Artemis hummed, finally opening her tired eyes to look at John.

     "How much worse?" Lorna asked. "With all these new refugees coming in, we're running out of food, blankets, everything."

     "I heard Marietta might have some supplies―︎I can head up there this afternoon." Marcos was quick to offer.

     "Alright." John nodded before looking towards Sage. "How's it coming with the hard drives from Baton Rogue?"

     "We're working on cracking them." Sage answered, nodding her head towards Reed.

     "Well, the bad news is they're encrypted." Reed told them. "But the good news is it probably means that there's something worth hiding."

     "Okay, if we don't figure out how they're turning mutants against us, none of this is gonna matter. And one more thing. I'm gonna go track down Clarice."

     Aphrodite closed her eyes. "Really? Now?"

     Sonya nodded in agreement. "You really think that's a good idea?"

     "She knows where this place is. If Sentinel Services catches her right now, it's gonna be a disaster. Alright?" John looked at Aphrodite, watching as her jaw clenched. "We got a lot of work to do. Let's get to it."

     "Sunny." Aphrodite requested, nodding towards Artemis. Sonya nodded.

     "Come on, Art." Sonya called, holding out a hand for the teenager. Artemis sat up, rubbing the sleep from her eyes before jumping down and grabbing Sonya's hand before they walked out of the room. Aphrodite stood up and followed after John, and as soon as he heard her footsteps, a sigh fell from his lips.

     "Aph." John turned to look at her.

     "I'm not going to try to stop you." Aphrodite shook her head. "That's something I've never been able to accomplish. I'm just here to tell you to be safe and. . . and come back to me, okay?"

      John looked at her for a moment before he nodded his head. "I will. Don't worry." He offered her a gentle smile and Aphrodite managed a small one back before nodding and watching as he turned on his heel and walked away.

━︎━︎━︎━︎━︎

When Lorna wanted her and Sonya to come with her somewhere, Aphrodite was really confused to say the least, but nonetheless she followed the green haired woman into the car and allowed her to drive. And on the way was when Lorna explained to her that Marcos didn't show up at Marietta and that she believed he was working with the cartel again behind their backs. When they parked, the trio got out of the car.