𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE:CHOSEN NICKNAME

CHOSEN NICKNAME

     "SO WHAT? WE FORGET ABOUT Lorna because she's behind bars?" Marcos questioned.

     "You know that's not what I'm saying." John snapped, turning to look at Marcos. Aphrodite sighed, raising an eyebrow as she looked between the two friends before glancing up towards her sister who simply sighed in response.

     "God knows what she's going through in there!"

     "You're talking about breaking into a jail. Twenty foot walls. With guards. With guns."

     "We have a way past all of it: Clarice. You saw what she could do."

     "I saw her tearing through the fabric of space. She almost destroyed half the building. She almost died."

     "She's fine now." Marcos argued.

     "In your expert medical opinion." Caitlin pointed out, making them look at her.

     "Yeah, well, she's better than she was."

     "Even if she is, she's nowhere near ready to take on what you're proposing." John shook his head.

     "Then train her. Just like you trained most of the people in this room, except for Dove because she's stubborn." Aphrodite scoffed. "You train her."

     "Johnny, Clarice did get herself out of jail." Sonya spoke up from her spot on the arm of the couch. "I mean, maybe she can do this."

     "She knocked me out of her head, she's stronger than me and everyone in this room knows I'm one of the more powerful mutants. Maybe Marcos is right for once in his sunshine life." Aphrodite agreed with her sister, meeting John's eyes and ignoring the eye roll that came from Marcos at the last part of her sentence.

     "So you're on his side." John asked the woman. "You're both on his side."

     "Sides? Really?" Aphrodite scoffed as she stood up. "I don't do the whole fifth grade choosing sides bullshit. I know for a fact that both Sonya and I don't give a shit about what's going on with you two. If we're choosing sides, then we're choosing Lorna's. She's our friend. And she is going to get killed inside of that prison if we don't get her out." John looked at Aphrodite for a moment before glancing towards the floor as he nodded.

     "Alright."

     "W-wait." Caitlin stuttered out. "We still live in a country of laws. Have we tried calling a lawyer? Some members of congress are sympathetic to mutants."

     "You're really overestimating―︎" John started only to be cut off.

     "Why not try? We can assault a building, but we can't talk to a person."