Chapter 15

It has been the craziest week and since I technically forgot about posting today I'll be posting another one later today :)

TW: None
Word Count: 2334

He drove us to the tower quickly. On the way there, I mostly watched him and how his right hand gripped the steering wheel. He had a tense look on his face as I held onto Alpine.

"Why don't you have your songs on, babydoll?" He mumbled quietly, his eyes staying focused on the road.

"I don't want to listen to music." When we got to the tower, we made our way to the roof. "Tony, Bucky can't go on the mission," I said confidently. "I need him here with me."

"Why?"

"I just do," I said giving him an intense stare.

"Tony," I heard Wanda speak up. "She needs him," she said, nodding.

"Listen, if he's gone, who's going to cover Sam? Sam's going to be watching over the entire team, and if he gets taken out, we're as good as dead. All of us." I felt my heart sink as I realized I couldn't keep him here.

"Then I need to check the arm and make sure it'll be okay. This is the first mission he's going on with the new connection device."

"We need to leave within the next two minutes, Dais. There's no time."

"He can't get hurt," I said, my voice breaking.

"He's been doing fine with it in training. He'll be okay," Steve said, reassuring me.

"Okay," I said, giving up reluctantly. "Be safe," I said, turning to Bucky who'd just got done changing into his suit. "If it seems too dangerous, just leave the rest of them behind and come back," I said quietly, adjusting his jacket.

"I will," he said, chuckling. "Okay, come here," he said, wrapping me up in his arms. "I'll be home as soon as I can, okay?" I nodded my head and felt him kiss the top of it. "I'll call you when I can, alright?"

"I love you," I said, still hugging him.

"I love you too, doll," he said, pulling away from me. "Okay, I have to go. I'll see you soon."

"Bye," I said before he gave me a kiss.

The jet took off, leaving Liss and I on the roof alone. "Come on, babe," she said, taking me to the elevator.

"What are we doing tonight?"

"Movies and ice cream?"

"Okay," I said, going along with her.

I had a particularly hard time falling asleep that night knowing that Bucky was gone along with the rest of the team. In the morning, it was just Liss and I eating breakfast in the common area.

"Sam's bed's never felt bigger," she said, emerging from the hallway. "I loved it. He takes up so much room. How'd you sleep without Bucky?" She asked, grabbing a mug from the cabinet.

"I usually sleep without him, but it was difficult knowing he wasn't within walking distance. I actually thought that I woke up to yelling, but I must've imagined it," I said from the table as I ate cereal.

"It's crazy what's happened since Bucky came around," she said, sitting down at the table. "I'm glad I haven't walked in on you with a random guy in a long time."

"Yeah, me too," I said, giving her a forced smile.

"Listen, I haven't really gotten the chance to tell you this, but I'm really sorry that I didn't notice what was going on between you and Cody," she said, giving me a sympathetic smile. "I guess I figured since you didn't tell me much about your relationship, you didn't want me around, so I didn't check up on you. I'm sorry for just assuming everything was fine."