Chapter 42

TW: None
Word Count: 2249

After Nana and I were done doing shots in the kitchen, we went back to the dining table. I felt more calm as I sat down next to Bucky again. I didn't care if everyone's eyes were on me anymore, I felt just done with everything at the moment.

The rest of dinner went smoothly, and there was a point during it where I gracefully grabbed Bucky's glass of wine and drank it, earning a chuckle from my grandma as I watched Bucky give me a look.

After dinner was over, Mark's parents left to go to their house that was just a few houses down and across the street, and the rest of us there were sitting in the living room talking about the evening. It was pretty relaxing for the next hour until I heard my mom say something to me.

"So Valerie says you two aren't really together," she said, looking at me sympathetically. "Which means your father owes me fifty dollars."

"What are you talking about?" Bucky asked, trying to cover for us. I sighed before looking down at my hands.

"Would you like to explain the timeline of men to us then? What was that Cody thing about? First I thought you might've been covering up your and Bucky's relationship, but now I know that's not the case."

"I don't want to talk about it," I said quietly. "How about we talk about how I'm working on moving the team upstate? Nana, I'll be able to come visit you more," I said with a shaky voice. Laura said when I'm asked about him, I should say I don't want to talk about it, and instead bring up something good that I'm doing.

"That's great, Daisy," Nana said, putting her hand on my back. "Maybe you can come over when my other girlfriends are here and play bridge—"

"I read somewhere that he's in jail now, is that true?" My dad asked, seemingly speaking up for the first time tonight.

"It is," I said, nodding. "And Nana, you'll have to reteach me bridge, my memory's been horrible lately."

"Probably from all that crack you've been smoking," Nana joked, laughing.

"You know it," I said, chuckling.

"I-if you don't mind us asking, what happened?" My dad asked gently after my mom nudged him.

"It's in the past, and I'd rather not bring it up."

"Bucky's supposed to be in the past but he's here," Derek slurred out. "I heard he beat the shit outta her a few times," Derek said. He'd had a few more drinks than he should've, but no one says anything about it. "Weak whore, wouldn't even let her man do what he wanted to her." He spoke like I wasn't sitting right there. Like he wasn't sitting across the room from an ex-assassin with a metal arm.

"Do you want to talk about her like that again?" Bucky asked, leaning forward on the couch.

"Buck, it's fine," I said, a tear falling silently from my eye. I felt Nana put her arm around me gently, trying to comfort me.

"We're leaving now," Bucky said, standing from the couch.

"Gonna listen to him Dais? Wouldn't want him beating the shit out of you either." I heard Bucky's arm make a noise before he looked over to me. I needed to get Bucky out of here before Derek and Valerie's separation happens sooner than scheduled. I stood up and put myself beside him.

"He's just being an asshole," I said, looking him in the eyes. "We're okay," I said quietly. "We'll leave," I said, grabbing his hand.

"Can't even control himself," Derek said, laughing.

"I'm so fucking glad Valerie's leaving you," I said, looking down at him. "She deserves so much more."

"She's doing what?" My mom asked, looking between the few of us.