Sir? Why was Natalie calling Felix a sir? He may be the CEO's son, but did that really warrant such a formal title - especially one that almost seemed demeaning to Natalie?

As she entered his office, a rush of cold air scented with vanilla collided with my face. I shivered. This Felix guy sure liked to keep the temperature in his office low. And where was that vanilla smell coming from?

Lucky for me, Natalie had left to door cracked, which allowed me to eavesdrop - something I did feel a little guilty over.

"What do you want?" I heard Felix say.

His voice. It sounded so familiar.

"I'm here regarding yesterday's conversation."

"There's nothing to discuss. Leave please."

"If you would hear me out-"

"Listen. I'm being buried alive in reconciliations. So as it stands, I don't have time to waste on another secretary."

"Sir, it has already been decided by your father. You've been assigned a new secretary and that's final."

"I'm far more productive without one. The only reason I'm behind is directly because of their laziness. So, you can go on and tell my father that I'm voiding the position," he said with hints of sarcasm in voice.

"I'm afraid it's too late for that. She's standing right outside your door, waiting to meet you."

"You have a terrible sense of humor."

"That wasn't a joke, sir. Excuse me, while I go get her."

"How many times do I have to say it? I don't have time for this," he sounded exasperated.

I saw the outline of Natalie's figure behind the glass door growing larger, until she was face to face with me.

"He's ready," her face was slightly red.

My gut twisted...I felt like I had butterflies...except it was less of a flutter and more like rocks colliding against the wall of the stomach causing acid to burn its way up my throat.

I entered his office only to discover it was actually more like a hotel room with its own kitchen, couches, bathroom, TV, and desk. Just like Natalie's office, everything was plain. No decorations, except for a burning vanilla candle sitting on his desk. At least he had a nice view. His entire left wall was actually a window with a perfect view of the Eiffel Tower.

Then my eyes landed on Felix.

My knees weakened and my stomach clenched.

It was him. That rude guy from the elevator.

He was sitting behind his desk, which had four monitors. When his eyes met mine...I felt as if I'd been shot or something. His face filled recollection, as his featured turned into a deeper scowl.

Then he examined my frame, his eyes sweeping from my head, steadily making their way to my heels, then returning to my eyes. He looked utterly unimpressed. This entire time, I stood there knowing I was being ripped apart in his mind and wondering terrible things was he thinking.

"This isn't going to work," he said, returning his focus to his monitors. He began typing.

"Felix, give her a chance," Natalie crossed her arms and tapped the tip of her shoe against the polished floor.

"She's incompetent. I don't have time to deal with that," he said flatly.

It would have hurt less if he said it with hate or passion. Instead, his words made it clear that I wasn't worth his time or energy.

"Her name is Marinette and she passed all of the interviews with flying colors. She will be more than suitable for the job," she said.

"Suitable is a very generous word. If it were up to me..."

"Well, it's not, sir. Look. We're all just trying to do our jobs here so if you would please fall in line with what your father has arranged and remember the contract you signed that..."

"-Yes. I know. The contract...bane of my existence."

"I'll remind you that Mr. Agreste's requests are binding..."

"-My word is the only thing that binds me. Nothing else. Not Gabriel. I will comply only because I honor my agreements. Nothing more."

"Understood," she wore the slightest smile, "I'll let you two get aquatinted in that case."

She brushed past me as if she were eager to leave. I shot her a desperate stare with the message of "please don't leave me alone!" She avoided eye contact as she shut the door.

I could hear myself gasping for air, as I met his piercing blue eyes - they welcomed me as a lion greets its prey. It was only a matter of time before I was devoured.