Ch1: The Elevator

Start from the beginning

"Sorry. I don't."

"That explains a lot."

"What do you mean?"

"Good chance you wouldn't have gotten on the elevator if you did."

"Why not?"

The doors opened. Without looking at me, he brushed past my shoulder and strode away as if finishing our conversation meant nothing to him. Before he turned the corner, I called out, "What's your name?"

I knew he had heard me based on the way he tilted his head in my direction. But he kept on walking and vanished behind a corner. Whoever he was, I didn't like him. He seemed...off. Hopefully, I wouldn't have to see him again.

As I exited, the elevator doors closed on my shoulders...because what kind of day would it be if things actually worked in my favor?

So this was the 7th floor. Straight ahead was a young woman wearing bright red lipstick, fake eyelashes, and perfectly curled hair - so perfect I wondered if it was a wig. She sat at a receptionist's desk, gawking at me as if I were some kind of ghost. I hobbled over, feeling as if I were walking on stilts. Why, oh why did I decide to wear these heels? So far, they had done nothing but cause me humiliation.

My hands grasped the stone desk as if I were a little child who collided with the wall of an ice-skating rink after nearly falling.

"You must be new," she said, brushing her nutmeg wig back with her finger.

"Funny. Everyone keeps saying that me," I sighed, setting my folder on the surface.

"Strange. He usually doesn't show mercy," she spoke low as if she were talking to herself.

"I'm sorry, I don't follow."

Her eyes widened and she tilted her head as if she was surprised I'd managed to hear her.

"How can I help you?" She smiled as if she wasn't going to clarify what she meant.

"Oh. Right. I'm an intern. In the HR department. The receptionist on the first floor said I should ask you where to go next."

"What's your name?"

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng. I think my supervisor's name is Natalie Sancoeur."

The receptionist began typing on her computer, her eyes narrowing on her one of her two computer monitors. While she did her thing, I stared into the aqua fish tank behind her, filled with all sorts of fish and crabs. The aqua colors reflected across the walls and on my hot pink blouse.

"Welcome, Marinette. Natalie's office is at the end of the cubicles to the left."

I felt my heart palpitate as my nerves increased.

"Thank you. I might be back soon if I get lost."

"I'll be here. Have a nice day," The receptionist said, immediately answering the phone as I stepped away.

I walked by a sea of grey cubicles lined with actual offices. Would I be stationed in one of those cubicles? If so, I hoped mine was near a window.

Just as I turned the corner, I spotted Natalie's office. It had her name engraved on the glass door. Much to my dismay, the lights were off and there was no sight of her. Should I go in her office and wait? Or just awkwardly stand here?

I decided against going inside. Pretending to go through my folder so I didn't look like a complete idiot, I waited. Ten minutes passed. Twenty minutes passed. I had reorganized my folder four times. My nerves were dying down. At this rate, the day would be over before I'd done anything or met anyone.

So all my rushing and attempts to make it here on time were in vain. Natalie was the late one. I should have just stayed calm the entire time and avoided making that embarrassing scene on the elevator. Oh well. Guess it was too late now.

"Marinette?" I heard a voice from behind me say.

I inhaled sharply, feeling nervous all over again. I turned to face Natalie. She wore a black dress with a white blazer. Her dark hair was slicked back in a low ponytail and the red frames of her glasses matched a strand of dyed red hair near her ears. Just like that guy in the elevator, she had shadows under her eyes. My gosh, did everyone here work themselves to death or something?

"Yes, that's me. You're Mrs. Natalie?"

"Correct. You can just call me Natalie."

I awkwardly nodded.

She unlocked her office and the lights automatically turned on as we entered. She sat herself down behind her desk and logged into her monitors, which consisted of three computer screens. I was amazed by how plain her office was...just whitewashed walls with a glass door. No pictures or decorations. Only office supplies and yellow posted notes.

My heart was beating so heavily, I wondered if she could hear. It was just so quiet and she seemed fixated on her computer.

"Sorry about that," She turned to face me. Her expression was blank, "Had to send a copy of a report over to Finance."

"No worries!" My voice cracked.

"So, I have some unfortunate news," she said, her face remained emotionless.

I suddenly felt a wave of sickness wash over me as my stomach clenched. What was it? Was I going to be fired on my first day? Was she going to tell me that they no longer had a position open?

"I know your contract with Agreste Inc. has you working in the HR department as a Benefits Coordinator, I believe. Would you be open to transferring to a different position? It would still be HR-related."

I felt relief wash over me as I sighed. I didn't mind transferring. Truth was, I only applied to this internship to get my foot in the door with this company. My end goal was to be a fashion designer, but since there were no internships in that, I decided HR would be the next best thing since it would allow me to interact with a bunch of people across departments.

"Oh. Of course! Whatever you need!" I said, hoping I didn't sound like a butt-kisser.

She cracked a slight smile, "That's great. I appreciate your flexibility."

"So, what's my new job?"

"Secretary."

"Oh, so I'll be like a receptionist at the front desk?" I felt my hopes rising. If I could do that, I would meet all kinds of people! Maybe I'd even get to meet some of the fashion designers and show them my designs!

"Not quite. It's a position under our Financial Analyst Intern. He's in need of a secretary. Someone for filing, data entry, phone calls, and things of that nature."

My spirits quickly dipped. An intern? I would be a secretary to another intern? I didn't even know that was a thing.

"I'll take you to meet him," she said, standing to her feet and smoothing out her dress.

This was actually kind of depressing. I would rather be a Benefits Coordinator under Natalie instead of a mere secretary under another intern. My very first day on the job and I was already being demoted.

Just my luck.