♥ 19 ♥

⚠️⚠️⚠️

ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ ᴄᴏɴᴛᴀɪɴꜱ ʀᴏᴜɢʜ ꜱᴇx ᴀɴᴅ ᴅᴏᴍɪɴᴀɴᴄᴇ

⚠️⚠️⚠️

It was the night of the Halloween party that had also been turned into an engagement party for Kyle and Carla, and I had already had three glasses of wine before driving on my way. I heard that my parents had invited a few of my friends from college and med school, high school, through the grapevine. I mean, you name it. Ever since I came clean about Spencer, my mother has called me every day talking about who she's invited and asking things about Spencer and being very judgemental, you know, the usual.

I was waiting for Spencer to call me on his way home. He had been away in Colorado for the past few days on a case, and he told me he would call when he was on his way.

Getting to drive my car alone and for the first time in a while was different for sure. No Spencer to keep me company or to lean over and kiss. I listened to some songs on the phone that I had hooked up to the Bluetooth.

I realize that Spencer secretly added some songs while I was in the hospital.

"You're so pretty, and I love this view.

We fell in love in October.

That's why I love fall.

Looking at the stars

Admiring from afar."

It was a sweet song by Girl in red that corresponded with our relationship. The first time I said I love you to him was the first week in October. It was perfect. I pull into the driveway and park behind what I assume is Carla and Kyle's car. There were a lot of people here. I wasn't expecting many people because, to be truthful, my mother likes to throw extravagant parties, but it always ends up being small and intimate because no one wanted to come. But everyone came.

I walk into the house; everyone standing by the door quickly moves out of the way as it opens. Filing through the people, I give hi's and hello's smiling my best fake smile. I spot a bottle of wine and grab an empty glass when I hit the kitchen. I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see Shani, my friend from college.

"Oh my goodness, girl, how are you?" I give her a warm embrace, watching my glass of wine, making sure it doesn't spill. It has been years since I've seen her.

"I've been good, been busy."

I offer her a glass of wine, and she shakes her head, "Can't" She moves her hand down to her stomach, revealing her small growing baby bump.

"Looks like you have been busy, congrats!" I smile, pulling her in for another hug—this time tighter than before.

"What about you?" Shani starts pulling me by the hand, walking toward the living room where most people have congregated.

"Oh... no kids yet. I mean, I'm seeing someone, but I am still not sure if it's going to last."

"Why do you say that?"

"We both work a lot, you know?"

"So... complicated in the least?" She nods as she understands. But with her having been with Jose since Freshman year, I doubt that she does.

"I guess." I look over to see Carla and Kyle talking to a skinny figure. I recognize that it's Spencer and excuse myself from my old friend. I wrap my arm around Kyle and give him a playful smooch on the cheek, "Congrats, you too!!"

"Thanks, Soph. It looks like we've met your guy here." He turns back toward Spencer and smiles, playfully giving him a nudge on the shoulder.

"Ah, yes, quite the genius, never even told me he was on his way here." I slur.