♥ 10 ♥

Sitting in the living room, the loneliness surrounding me is nearly unbearable. I turn the pages of my book, but can't seem to concentrate on the words that I read. Closing the novel, I observe the cover, admiring the salmon color. The title was in white font, which made it stick out more than the words on the pages that were inside it. "Where the Crawdads Sing...." I murmur the title softly to myself, running my fingers over the smooth rim that bind the pages together. It made me refer back to Spencer's words.

Sometimes, it's better if books are closed because the ending may be rather disappointing, or in another way, it could be a tragedy that would be better left unread.

His voice was so vivid in my mind, that I thought he was sitting right next me. I turn my head to make sure that he wasn't, letting out a sigh and feeling relieved that his presence was elsewhere. I set the book down on the side table beside the couch and looked out the window, observing the mid afternoon sky. Standing up, I head over to the kitchen, letting out a sad sigh. Gazing up at the cupboards, I notice that they were made from fine oak, the engravings creating a miscellaneous pattern that wasn't even a pattern at all. I open one, eyeing a few plates and bowls, but then close it as my stomach growls. I take a few steps towards the fridge opening it to see shelves filled with vegetables and other healthy foods.

How the hell did he have time to fill this fridge?

Because of his trips that require him to go from state to state, it perplexes me to think that he can buy all of these refreshments, but why should I even be complaining...

He probably wouldn't even notice. Grabbing a few vegetables and a bottle of balsamic vinaigrette, I move over to the counter in order to make myself a salad. Even with the food he is able to pack in his fridge, Spencer still remains a mystery. He still remains to be on my mind even when I get myself something to eat. As an attempt to focus on something different, I begin to cut the vegetables.

Humming softly, I observe the knife slicing the lettuce. My cutting skills are not the greatest when it comes to cutting food. But put a body in front of me and I can slice it open blindly. Opening the cupboard above my head, it made it easy to take a bowl and put the cut up vegetables into it. My thoughts of Spencer lingered, which made me want to throw the salad at the wall.

I can't help but be aggravated by the fact that Reid won't leave my fucking head. Even if he is at work, he can't get away from me. His eyes burn in the back of my head. His arms wrapped around me and his lips on my neck, feeling very recent. The warmth of his touch and his smile that is the last thing I see before his lips land on mine each time. I cry out softly in the absence of him. Even with recent events, I still am drawn to him. I think back to the scar on his back. Should I confront him when he gets home? I mean like I said, if he is to protect me I should feel completely safe. Therefore he needs to communicate with me through everything. I know he isn't capable of being an open book but at the same time, I should know or be aware of a chapter or two.

I try my best to go back to the couch with my food, but it still remains a challenge due to my mental obstacles. Maybe I'm being too harsh with him, there has to be a formidable reason as to why he is acting this way. I instantly grab my phone without even thinking about the possible consequences of my actions. He might get defensive again, he might not want to talk, or he might even hang up.

I dial his number and it doesn't take long for him to anwer.

"Hello?"

"Hello, Spencer, I just really want to ask...It just hasn't left my mind and I need to know....How did you get that scar?"

The silence on the phone had actually caused me to worry, despite the fact that him ignoring earlier made me upset, "Spencer.." I softly mutter. "Please. Why are you being silent with me? I just thought you'd be able to trust me enough to be open about this." His silence continues to trail as the seconds continue to pass. All I can hear is the sound of the radio in the back, allowing me to know that he was in his car.