Chapter 8

Arrowan

A guard was coming through the portal behind me and would land any second. I pushed myself to my feet, grabbed my bag off the ground, and gritted my teeth through the pain that flared up in my back when I ran. For the first time, I took in my surroundings as they blurred past me.

Trees – lots of them. Snow – heaps of it. More snow falling down all around me. It was up to my knees and even though I pushed my aching body to run as fast as I could, it seemed almost impossible to make any real progress. That wasn't even the worst part of these heaps of snow, though – no, that honor was reserved for the fact it was making a trail behind me that clearly showed my pursuer every step I took. I glanced back at my tracks and sneered in disgust at the situation when I saw a clear line of blood splatters from the gashes in my back, highlighting my path for him – as though it wasn't obvious enough.

The light flared brighter and I ducked behind a tree so I at least wouldn't be in the guard's line of sight when he landed. While his footsteps slowly grew nearer, I closed my eyes and tried to calm my racing heart. It was no use – between the pain, adrenaline, fear, and excitement at finally making it to Earth, I was too worked up. Spots started dancing across my vision and I realized I was holding my breath like an idiot.

It didn't matter that I'd made it here, not while the guard was on my tail. He could take me back to Alterra if I didn't get away from him. Even if I escaped, as long as he was out there chasing me, it wouldn't be safe to go to my bond mate. So, my only option here was to fight, and fight hard.

Show no mercy, for you will receive none.

The footsteps stopped just on the other side of the tree. I knew about the guard's staff, but that couldn't be all he carried on him. Just as I thought that, I heard a tiny hissing noise and I threw myself away from the tree on instinct. When I looked back, the trunk was wrapped in glistening netting. Silvery threads of magic coursed along the wires that made up the net. I had a few guesses for what kind of magic that was, and none of them were pleasant. If I hadn't moved, he would have already caught me.

New plan, then – I was obviously unprepared and my pursuer had the upper hand.

Run if it means you fight another day.

I faintly heard the crunch of snow as the guard took a step forward and I ran behind the nearest tree. The snow slowed me down, and I had a feeling I was at more of a disadvantage than the guard was. He probably had ranged weapons with him. I had almost nothing.

A smarter person might have abandoned the bag that was slung over my shoulder, but it now represented the grand sum of all my worldly goods and besides, the guard could pick it up and use it to do a tracking spell on me. It would be almost impossible to evade him if he did that.

So, the bag stayed.

I slogged my way through the snow, zigzagging as much as I dared. It meant I had to cover a greater distance, but it also meant I'd be harder to hit with magic or projectiles. As I ran, the cold that saturated my clothes within seconds of landing seeped deeper and deeper into me, until I was running on numb toes with lungs that burned from the cold – not to mention my ears and my nose, which had lost all sensation ages ago.

Still, I ran. The guard followed behind, and for a while I thought I was just faster than him. As I inevitably tired and slowed down, though, I realized he must be keeping back intentionally. Where I was forcing each step through the knee-high snow, he was able to run in my footsteps. It gave him a huge advantage. He really should have caught me by now.

So, what did he gain from letting the chase go on?

I started to wheeze from the cold and my heart started to feel strange in my chest, almost disconnected. I really wasn't dressed for this weather. Even my mind felt sluggish, but I was still sharp enough to realize that this was exactly what the guard was waiting for. All he had to do was wait for me to tire myself out. I'd be much easier to subdue and much less dangerous to him if he did.