Chapter 26

"Welcome back to the KSI, Shin In-ah."

"What?"

"What?!"

"WHAT?!"

The Hope Gang ran forward, slamming into the locked gate in unison. The metal rattled by the hard impact, but the truth shook them to the core of their bones.

Their hands gripped on to the iron bars, but they wanted nothing more than to reach out to In-ah. Half of them wanted to shake her and demand answers whereas the other half wanted to hit her first, ask questions later.

Chung Ha revelled in the Hope Gang's reaction. She couldn't help but beam with a grin at their despair. She gawked at them with pitiful eyes and her bottom lip popped out in a little pout to mock their sad looks. She relished in the thrill, having waited such a long time to disclose a spy was in the Hope Gang all along.

In-ah, on the other hand, didn't spare her former gang a glance. She stared at the ground, shutting out every one of their words. She never really gave much thought about this, but what they thought about her affected her more than she should care.

"Did you find out anything else whilst in there?" Chung Ha asked, jerking her head towards the Hope Gang with a nod.

In-ah gulped before slowly tilting her head to meet Chung Ha's eyes. Every movement of hers was heavy, unnatural and hard. It was as if her body was stunned, turning into ice under her former gang's cold and hateful stares.

With gritted teeth, she mustered up the courage to look at them. Her gaze travelled to each and every one of their expressions which ranged from 'what the actual fuck', to 'I would gauge your eyes out if I can get my hands on you' to...

A look of disbelief and torment on Jungkook's face.

He didn't look angry at her, which only made In-ah drown in guilt. On the contrary, he looked like he couldn't exactly process what was happening. His eyebrows were knitted together, lips parted slightly and his thoughts ran a mile a minute.

To think that he actually sat with this girl for hours, spoke to her, bickered with her, laughed with her at the most stupid jokes, even taught her to use a gun, was that all part of her pretense? Did she know how to work a gun all along? Were their conversations fuelled with an ulterior motive?

In-ah dropped her head to the floor in shame. A tightness in her chest made it hurt to look at him even a second longer.

"Nothing at all," she answered Chung Ha, swallowing hard.

But she did find out something.

I found out Jeon Jungkook likes me more than he lets on.

***

Shin In-ah, a senior computer analyst for the KSI, became Lisa's informant during her high school years. She was originally Lisa's pawn, tasked to keep track of Taehyung, when Lisa doubted his loyalty to the KSI.

Years ago, Lisa planned to appoint Taehyung as the leader of the White Thorn Gang in disguise so that he could do all of her dirty work while she hid in the back of the noble KSI. But Taehyung's devotion to the KSI was beginning to shift. She could see he was starting to question the KSI, question her orders, question his loyalty to her. By sending an informant into the equation, Lisa could then see whether Taehyung was someone she could manipulate.

In-ah was an easy choice for Lisa too - best friends with Soo-ji at the time, who made it all the more easier by her association with Min Yoongi to watch Taehyung.

Taehyung and In-ah never really had any connection or association with each other, but with Min Yoongi and Soo-ji in the middle, In-ah could indirectly keep watch of the then White Thorn Gang, Bora and Taehyung as a whole.