Chapter-12 "Memories"

An eerie silence fell among us as I stared at him with widened eyes, his gaze was fixed on the ground and his expression, terrified.

"Wh--" I spoke but he cut me off

"Nevermind" he muttered and turned to his heels and before I could even utter another word, he was gone.

A small crowd that was gathered around us was slowly clearing up, I had my hands balled into fists and I didn't realize that I was shaking and probably my eyes were red. I spotted a bench nearby and sat there, my gaze, fixed on the ground. I was too soaked into my thoughts that I didn't bother to look at my surroundings but, I was snapped back to reality when I heard someone yell behind me.

"Leave him alone Alex, unless you want to end up in hospital" I recognized it as Jeremy's voice.

"But Jeremy--" Alex squeaked but Anna cut him off

"You all go, I have to talk to Denise"

Apparently, Alex was coming to meet me but luckily, Jeremy stopped him. Honestly, if he'd approached me, I would've killed him.

What did he mean by the truth? Why did he say that?. I wanted to sort things out but I was too irritated to even talk to someone. As I was absorbed in my thoughts suddenly, I felt someone's presence beside me. Groaning, I looked at the sideways to shove that person off but, I came to a halt as I saw Anna, sitting beside me, sobbing lightly. Her presence suddenly made me calm but, it hurt me to see tears on my friend's face.

"Are you okay Anna?" I asked, lightly putting a hand on her shoulder, She nodded.

Long minutes passed by and no one even uttered a word, we both sat there and enjoyed the music playing in the background.

"You remember the day when we first met?" Anna muttered softly. Yeah, I perfectly remember that day when she was getting bullied by a group of seniors and how I comforted her the same way while she sobbed. I lightly chuckled at the memory.

"How can I forget that day"

"Ah...the memories" she sighed

"That day I got one of my best friends. And Mike was one of them" I shook my head.

"Bullies are everywhere"

"Everywhere" I repeated.

"And you also remember how Jeremy accidentally fell into the swimming pool when we were in 8th grade?" She asked as she laughed.

"Ooh yeah I remember that day!, He was jumping in excitement at the edge of the pool, too eager to swim when suddenly he slipped because of the water"

"Yeah, and how Mike jumped into the pool with his shoes on just to save him." We both laughed lightly.

"But he should've removed his shoes before diving." She said thoughtfully.

"And you think there was enough time for that"

"Of course there was! shoes in the swimming pool, jeez" she cringed at the memory.

"Ok, so now we are discussing how that already torn shoe should have been spared," I said rolling my eyes.

"Sometimes, I just feel like escaping from the day to day life and sit in a place peacefully." I sighed.

"I think that daily." She hummed.

And after a short pause, she suddenly stood up. I glanced in her direction curiously.

"Wanna dance?" She asked as she held out a hand for me.

"Sure" I ginned taking her hand while getting up. I think in every group there is a person who comforts everyone when they are sad I think she is the one in our group.

As we made our way inside, we spotted the rest of them dancing and grooving to the beat.

"Yayy, Shay is back!!" Alex exclaimed as he hugged me and I cringed, sometimes he can bring too much sunshine which can get unbearable.

"Come on Shay, let's dance!" Kate jumped as she approached me.

We all danced a lot and lived every moment.

"Today was a tough day" Anna sighed happily as we were on our way home.

"True" Kate added

"Ugh! If you all are done complementing the prom, can someone help me with this sleeping beauty" Jeremy groaned as he held Alex who was sleeping on his shoulder.

"Aw..you think he is beautiful" Kate teased and everyone laughed.

"Hey Jeremy, can you hold him tightly?" I said as I helped him in holding Alex.

After we bid our goodbyes to each other, I went home.

"Shay, you early?" Mom asked

"Yeah, we all were exhausted so we decided to leave early."

"Hm...you want something to eat?" She asked. Well, that was suspicious, since when she became so caring? It's not like she is not caring but lately, she has been distant that's why.

"No thanks."

After finishing my chores and wearing my night suit, I lied on my bed.

I sighed to myself, finally, the good part was over, and what will come tomorrow was still a mystery.

Before sleeping, I checked my phone and replied to all my pending messages but, before I could keep my phone back, I saw Mike's contact and for no reason, I tapped it and glanced at our last conversation.

Me
Hey Mike, excited about the prom? 😏😏

Mike
Duh! Who isn't?

Me
What are you going to wear by the way?

Mike
Surprise surprise😉

Me
Ugh, please?

Mike
Well, I was the last one to pick up the dress right?

Me
Uh.....yes, so...?

Mike
Bruh, I changed my dress after showing it to you all.

Me
What! But, why?

Mike
Surprise surprise 😉

I sighed at the view of the chat and closed it. I was thinking of apologizing to him but it was his mistake and he needs to learn his lesson. The exams were also approaching and I didn't have time to waste, I have to focus on my studies.

First, Biology, one of my weakest subjects, and then, Chemistry. I also had to focus on the field of music, so much for scoring and the only way to pursue all my dreams was to remove all the distractions from my life till the next week.

Ugh! The next week was gonna be difficult.