Part 8 - Christmas Comings Out

Time skip – Christmas Morning

Sirius

"Get up! Sirius! It's Christmas! Presents!" James loved Christmas.

"I didn't realise a Marauders Christmas started at 6:30 in the morning," Sirius complained, only just awake enough to do so.

He came down into the common room with the others. They were the only Gryffindors staying for the holidays, so they had the whole place to themselves. Lily was supposed to stay, but her sister ended up going away with some friends, so she decided to go home.

The ginormous Christmas tree almost hit the roof. The carefully placed tinsel draped around it. They sat beside it and started handing out gifts. Sirius got a Tornadoes scarf from Peter and a broomstick care kit from James. His favourite gift, however, was a black leather jacket. It was very similar to his old one, though with fewer holes and loose threads. On the hem was a pocket that appeared to only be big enough for one of those weird muggle coins. However. When he reached inside, it was much longer.

"A wand pocket," Remus informed him. "You often leave your wand in all sorts of places when you wear your other one because you have nowhere to put it."

Sirius grinned. "Thanks, Moony! I love it!" Remus blushed as Sirius put it on over his pyjamas.

Sirius did love it, he just wished that it wasn't Remus who gave it to him. He already had too much affection for the boy. Why couldn't James have given this to him? That would have been easier. If James had given it to him, all the thoughts that were swirling around his head wouldn't be there. Thoughts like how did Remus notice that was the reason he kept losing his wand? Why was he paying so much attention to Sirius? Could he possibly like him back?

No. Sirius knew that Remus was just observant. Besides Remus was straight. Even if he wasn't, why would he like Sirius? Sirius was the messed up one. The one who always needed Remus' help with tricky spells. Sirius was pathetic. There was no way Remus would like him.

Remus

Sirius seemed to like the leather jacket, but something felt off to Remus. Should he ask Sirius about it? He looked at James and Peter. He could pretty well guess neither of them had noticed. So, he probably shouldn't say anything. Sirius would wonder why he was paying so much attention and Remus couldn't answer that. Not without confessing his stupid crush on him. No. It was best not to think about it.

Remus got a copy of Quidditch through the ages from James, who had told him "You like reading and books, I like Quidditch. Bam." He wasn't sure it was 'Bam' but he was glad it wasn't actual quidditch gear. Remus didn't particularly enjoy flying. He also got a muggle CD from Peter. The newest one from a band they shared a liking of.

As he unwrapped Sirius' gift and saw it was a book, Sirius explained, "I don't know what makes a good book, but I thought you would at least like the cover. I had to use a bit of magic to turn the bird into a stag though." The cover was a dark blue, with a wolf, stag, dog and rat in the moonlight. The book was called The lonely Wolf. From what Remus could take from the blurb, it was about a group of animals who befriended a wolf and went on adventures.

"I love it Pads. It's perfect."

As they came back from breakfast, Remus' stomach tied itself in knots. He had promised himself he would come out at some point in the holidays. They were the only ones there, so there was no chance of being overheard. He had told Lily this, who had told him he should come out on Christmas. Wouldn't it feel lovely to be supported on Christmas day like that, she had asked. However, Remus' mind went straight to the bad. What if they didn't support him? He was already a werewolf, could they really support him not being straight either? He kept reminding himself that they would be fine with it. They were good people. But his nerves persisted.