Part 16 - I Promise

Time Skip – Hogsmeade weekend

Remus

When Remus wakes up, he finds Sirius' bed empty, which would be very out of character for him, if it weren't for the fact that this weekend was the first Hogsmeade weekend since he and Remus had gotten together. Sirius was taking him on a date. Remus had inquired about the time and location, but Sirius wouldn't tell him anything. "It's a surprise!" He had replied excitedly.

As Remus got out of bed, he noticed a letter on his nightstand that wasn't there the previous night. A howler. Remus reached for it, nerves flowing through his body. Who could it be from? Perhaps his parents had heard of his relationship with Sirius. Perhaps he was wrong, and they didn't accept him. He opened it timidly, bracing for a loud shout when a familiar voice spoke softly from the magical letter. Sirius. Remus smiled as Sirius spoke.

"Morning Gorgeous,

I hope you slept well. You looked very cute when I left this morning, with your hair all ruffled.

Be outside The Three Broomsticks at 10:30, and a rather dashing lad shall escort you to an undisclosed location. I can't wait to see you there."

The howler then ripped itself up, leaving Remus with a full heart and a big smile.

He looked at the time. It was nine o'clock. Remus went to his trunk to find something to wear. James and Peter were still asleep. He sorted through his clothes. He had tried many different outfits, before concluding that he had nothing nice enough for a date with Sirius. The only nice clothes he had were his robes, but he couldn't wear them. There was a knock at the door.

"Remus, can I come in?" It was Lily. He grunted in response, which she seemed to take as a yes.

She looked at the way Remus was lying on his bed, giving him a knowing look.

"Can't decide what to wear?" She asked. Although it was really more of a statement. "James said you had been rummaging through your trunk for nearly half an hour." Only then did Remus notice the other two boy's beds were empty.

"You know Sirius will love whatever you wear," Lily sat down on his bed beside him. "But if I were you, I would go with the black skinny jeans and the beige sweater."

"Really?" Remus looked up at her. "You think so?"

"Yep." She said confidently. "I saw what Sirius was wearing, so you won't be over or underdressing in those. And he thinks you look really cute in them."

"He said that?" Remus whispered, turning bright red.

"No," Lily admitted. "But I can tell." She gave him a wink, before leaving the dorm.

After Remus got dressed and ready, he headed down to the great hall to grab some breakfast before heading off to Hogsmeade.

It was almost 10:30 when he reached The Three Broomsticks, so he sat down on a nearby bench. He noticed James was inside, sitting with a girl he couldn't recognise. She was familiar, but he could only see the back of her head. He recognised her face from around the castle though.

"Hey gorgeous," Sirius approached him with a smile on his face.

"Morning Pads," Remus replied, a smirk on his face. "I see the handsome lad has arrived."

Sirius blushed "Well we best be off. Our date is waiting."

"We wouldn't want to keep it waiting, would we?"

Remus followed Sirius to the outskirts of the village. They passed Dervish and Banges, as Sirius led him to the foot of the mountain. As they began to climb the mountain, Remus asked, "Do you know who that was with James? I could only see the back of her head."

"I didn't see them, but it must have been Alice," Sirius told him. "He told me he was trying to get over Lily. I hope he can, poor Prongs will be stuck on her forever at this rate."

"I wouldn't count them out just yet," Remus said with a smile.

"Who? James and Lily?" Sirius said with a look of disbelief. "You're joking."

"Let's just say a little birdie told me something." Sirius shook his head in response.

"Ooh we're here!" Sirius exclaimed. "Close your eyes now Moony."

Remus did as instructed, feeling Sirius' soft skin on his arms, guiding him towards wherever they were going.

"Open," Sirius whispered. When Remus did so he was nearly brought to tears by the sight before him. It was a little cave, decorated with fairy lights. On the floor was a checked red and gold picnic blanket, with an open picnic basket filled with chocolate and other delectable looking treats.

Sirius

Sirius held his breath as he told Remus to open his eyes, hoping he hadn't gone overboard. He wanted to make today special, but as he was walking up the hill with Remus, he began to overthink everything. What if he overwhelmed Remus? What if it was too much? As Remus took in the cave tears came to his eyes. Sirius knew it. He had gone overboard.

"You're perfect," Remus whispered, and Sirius nearly choked on air. "I- uh," Remus stuttered. "I mean it's perfect."

Sirius smiled. "I think you're perfect too. Serious," he assured Remus as his face fell. He could tell Remus didn't believe him. "Sirius, actually. You're the best boyfriend I could have asked for."

Remus smiled. "I like it when you call me that."

"We'll then Boyfriend, shall we eat?" Sirius led him over to the picnic basket, where they ate and talked for hours. To Sirius, it felt like something had just clicked, and he felt something new. Something he had never felt before. Like everything had been leading to this moment in time. The world seemed to stop and speed up at the same time. Sirius felt warm. He felt safe. He felt a fire within him. he didn't think about his family. He didn't think about the cuts and the bruises, both inside and out. He couldn't feel them anymore. And for the first time in a long time, Sirius felt loved.

Sirius was snuggled up in Remus' big arms. That was the advantage of having a tall boyfriend. Boyfriend. Sirius liked that word too.

"Thank you," Remus whispered softly into Sirius' ear. "Thank you for such a perfect date."

"You are worth going to all this trouble for," Sirius whispered back. "And I should be thanking you"

"For what?" Remus asked.

"For making me feel like this. Like I'm worth something."

"You are worth everything Sirius. not just to me either." Remus kissed his forehead. "There are so many people who would do anything for you. I'm only one of them." The words made Sirius smile, but he could tell from Remus' voice he was worried about something.

"What's up?" Sirius asked.

Remus looked as if he was deciding whether or not to say anything before answering. "Please don't make yourself go back there. I can't bear to see you come back bruised again."

Sirius looked down, knowing Remus was referring to his parents. "I don't have a choice, Remus."

"Yes you do!" Sirius could see the sincerity in Remus' eyes. "You deserve better than that. You deserve a family that will love you and support you and who will make you feel safe." Remus' eyes began to fill with tears. "I can't bear to think about you going back there. Please. Don't do that to yourself. Tell someone."

Sirius sat silently for a moment. He was so overwhelmed by what Remus had said. And the way he had said it to. Maybe he was right. Maybe Sirius deserved better than that.

"Okay I will," Sirius whispered. "But only if you do it with me."

"Of course, I will Sirius. You are never going to be alone in this." Sirius could see the resolution in Remus' eyes. "I promise."

//I'm back! I know it has been literally ages, but the last 18 months have been a lot. For everyone. I am really fortunate to be in a place where we are doing really well, but we have been in and out of lockdowns the entire time. Anyway, hope you enjoy!