first friend (Jinduck)

First week of college was over and Jaeduck had not made one friend yet. However, he wasn't demotivated.

On the way back home, he spotted a boy in the same uniform as him. He had doubled over, leaning against a wall, clutching the side of his neck.

Jaeduck didn't recognize him. His groans and breathless moans were worrying.

"Hey, are you okay?" he asked nervously, hands gripping the straps of his bag.

The boy stepped back, breathing heavily. He was pale and there was some kind of fear in his eyes.

Jaeduck looked at the stream of blood running down his forearm from the neck.

"You're bleeding!" he pulled the bloody arm, exposing wounds that looked like someone had dug their nails and scratched him.

The boy recoiled his arm, "Go!"

"Look I live here," he pointed at the building behind the wall. "I can help. Scratches from a girl's nails sting real bad. Trust me, I know."

The boy stared at him. "....you know?" he mumbled.

"Huh?"

"H-how do you k-know?"

"I have a sister and we fight a lot," he chuckled. Then led the other by the wrist, "Come,"

They walked in silence, one behind the other. Jaeduck was relieved at the thought that he'd get to make a friend.

"What's your name? I have never seen you around before. Which year are you in?"

The boy didn't reply until Jaeduck stopped, turned around and raised his eyebrows demanding for an answer.

"J-jaijin. Lee Jaijin...I am in f-fourth year." 

Jaeduck nodded. A senior. Hm, that's a good start.

They entered a studio apartment.

"Sorry it's a bit untidy," Jaeduck picked up a pile of unfolded clothes from the sofa and threw them on the bed. "Sit. Water?"

Jaijin's eyes lit up. He looked like someone had offered him water for the first time.

"Yes.."

"Ow!"

"FUCK! I am SO SORRY! I thought you were looking!"

Jaeduck had hurled a chilled water bottle without seeing that Jaijin was busy staring at the wall. Well, he had just replied. How could someone lose focus so quickly?

He rushed over to rub the back of his head that felt as cold as the bottle.

"I'm okay," said Jaijin trying to slip away from Jaeduck who rubbed his head like a genie would come out of it.

Jaeduck kept the first aid box next to him and began rummaging for ointment.

"So, how did all this happen?"

"I-i.."

"got into a fight?" Duckie prompted.

"uh....yes-OW!" Jaijin flinched as the ointment touched his wounds. "it hurts,"

"Stay still...just a moment. You can fight with a girl but not bear an ointment sting!" he dabbed the excess blood and bandaged the wound.

Jaijin's eyes were shut and his fingers were tightly clutching a cushion.

Whatta baby

"It's done, you can open your eyes now."

Throwing the cushion away, Jaijin sat upright trying to brush off the embarrassment.

"C-can I use the-the washroom please?" he asked timidly, avoiding eye contact.

"Sure. It's to the left" Jaeduck pointed to a passage.

Jaeduck made himself comfortable on the sofa and switched on the TV. Jaejin sure seemed like a very shy boy. No wonder he hadn't seen him before. He was one of those people who always merged in the crowd. Well, he found someone like him.

He began folding clothes as news played in the background.

" ..Family of five murdered in Yeonju. No money stolen. No jewelry taken.

This boy was caught on camera leaving their house."

A hazy picture from a cctv footage flashed. Next to it was a zoomed in picture of the boy.

Jaeduck recognized it.

The shirt he was folding, fell. A shiver ran down his spine making his hair stand on its ends. He felt his cheeks heat up.

fuck my life!

He quickly glanced at the bathroom door, switching off the TV. It was locked.

With clammy hands, he fumbled to call 911. Shrinking to a corner he held the phone extremely close to his ears.

"Jaeduck-ssi" Jaijin emerged from the passage, hands behind his back.

"DON'T COME NEAR ME!" Jaeduck yelled, pointing the phone screen to him, "I'VE ALREADY CALLED THE POLICE THEY'LL BE HERE ANY MINUTE!"

"listen.."

"NO DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE TAKE A STEP!"

Jaijin stopped. He stared at Jaeduck who helplessly cried for help on the phone.

"you shouldn't have done that.." he mumbled, raising his right hand above his head. A sharp butcher's knife glimmered. Taking a step back he prepared to lunge at his newfound prey.