⋆𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓁𝑒𝓉𝓉𝑒𝓇⋆

Y/N walked out of the kitchen after a few minutes of standing there frozen, in silence. So now he knew, now he definitely knew. The secret was up, the cat was out of the bag and Y/N knew she would do anything she could to get it back in. If it was possible. Which it wasn't. Y/N was mentally kicking herself for launching into a huge speech, spilling the forbidden truth, before listening to what Jacob had to say and what he already knew.

The girl walked through the living room and towards the door, spotting Walt near the stairs. She glanced at him as she walked passed and thought about how mad she was at him a few minutes ago. She'd thought he'd told Jacob everything, she thought he was the reason her best friend now knew her as a liar. But she was the reason for that. Walt had only told him about one of the jobs, he hadn't even thought the mention everything else she was lying about. If Y/N had to take a guess, she'd assume he never would have, either. 

Walt was looking up the stairs, waving his arms about at someone who's footsteps were protruding away from him. Y/N didn't have to guess who was storming up the staircase, it was pretty obvious that it was Jacob. She could tell because she guessed he'd be mad enough to charge up to his room, and also Walt was calling his name. See, obvious.

"Jacob! Where are you going? Come back here right-" A door slammed, cutting Walt's shouts and orders off, the fire in him cooling down and disappearing to nothing. He let out a sigh and spotted Y/N looking at him. Then he knew why Jacob had slammed the door so hard, he knew that Jacob must have found out about his best friend lying to him for months. Walt could have shouted at Y/N for hurting his son like that but instead he gave her a knowing nod and looked away.

Y/N sighed and headed out of the Thrombey mansion, her feet charging down the steps as she dashed away, wanting to be out of there as soon as possible. She made it to the gate of the mansion and she stopped her running and turned around, sighing as she took in the beauty of what used to be Harlan's home. As she looked up at the many pane windows of the building, she noticed a figure in the window a few stories above her. 

It was Jacob, looking straight at her. He flinched as he saw the girl looking back at him but didn't make an immediate effort to move away. Y/N tried her luck, seeing as he hadn't ran away from the window immediately. She raised her hand in the air, as if to wave. She could have swore she saw Jacob begin to do the same, but it must have been too much for him because he dropped his hand again and moved away from the window- dropping the blinds and yanking the curtains together. 

Y/N arrived back at her small house and sat herself down on the sofa. She started to wonder why she hadn't cried yet, normally she would be, after all, she had just lost her best friend and her only friend. But she figured she was all cried out from sobbing herself to sleep the night before. She had no tears left to cry, only a wallowing pit of emptiness inside of her. But what was new?

She sighed softly and looked over at the copy of 'Hook, Line & Sinker' on the coffee table in front of her. Harlan's novel, the last one he wrote before he'd died. The book hadn't been published to the public yet, Harlan had given her an early copy of it on the night that he'd died. Well, he hadn't given it to  her in the sense where he'd place it in her hands. Instead, he'd slipped it into her bag on his way up to bed. Or at least, that's what Y/N had assumed when she'd found the copy in her bag the next day.

Given the circumstances, she hadn't really had a chance to read through the book. She assumed it would be fantastic, just like all of his other books. She reached over to the novel and picked it up, looking over the front cover. A small boat on a lake, simple but it gave a sinister edge to the book. The book was significantly shorter than some other of the books Harlan had wrote but Y/N shrugged and opened the book.

The first page listed the other various titles of his books, copyright claims and the title of the book once again. The page after that was a dedication page and a typed message saying-

"To my beloved readers, thank you for your love and loyalty."

Y/N smiled to herself and turned the page, expecting to see the first chapter and feeling ready to read the last Harlan Thrombey novel she and anybody else would ever read. But instead she was greeted with another page and not one with the first chapter written on it. Instead, she was met with a handwritten message. And the message was addressed to her. Her heart skipped a beat.

As if she was afraid that if she was too rough, the message would disappear, she gently picked up the book from her lap and brought it closer to her face, burning her fingers over the words as she bit her lip nervously. She began to read.

"Dear Y/N,

Somethings are meant to be, no matter the untruth behind them. You can tell my grandson the truth and I hope you will. 

No matter your current circumstances, you can always find truth and clarity at a comforting place. For me, that is my study. If I ever become unavailable, the study is always open to you. I keep a stash of sweets in my drawer, always.

Thank you, and I hope you'll find the truth eventually.

-Harlan"

The truth? The truth about what, exactly? And how did he know that she'd end up telling Jacob the truth about her-

Harlan knew. Harlan knew she was lying the whole time.

Y/N sighed and shut the book, no longer in the mood to read the mystery. She wished she could just talk to him, ask him directly. But she couldn't, she knew she couldn't. And if she couldn't talk to him then she'd do the next best thing, like he said.

She'd go to his study.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Sorry for the lack of updates. I always mean to update but then I get carried away with watching YouTube and re-watching IANOWT (may it rest in piece) for the millionth time :)

Thank you for putting up with me! don't forget to vote <3