thirty eight.

"How much longer do you need to keep doing it?" The voice that I had now discovered from someone named Riley.

        "Like a few months. He gets paid every month and he's just saving it to pay me."

        "Good luck."

        "Thanks, I'll need it."

        20 minutes.

        After a moment of silence, I assumed the two of the girls left the bathroom, so I unlocked the bathroom stall and pushed it open. But I was soon met with Fernanda and the other girl, flipping around to face me. 

        "Oh, hey Dani!" Fernanda smiled.

        But now she's acting like she wasn't just talking about me. Was she even talking about me? Maybe they were talking about someone else? But then again, who else in the school has a celebrity sister? 

        "Hey?" I said, making it sound more like a question. 

        "I never saw you in class today, where were you?" 

        I need to come up with an excuse. She doesn't have to know that I was hiding in the bathroom for half the school day, does she?

        "I was in the principals office. I had to discuss something with him." 

        She nodded, twirling a piece of her dark hair with her finger. 

        18 minutes.

         There was now an awkward tension in the room, and I wasn't sure if I should continue to stand here or leave the bathroom.        

        "So, how's your sister?" Riley spoke, breaking the silence. 

        I narrowed my eyes at her at the mention of Demi. 

        "She's fine." Was all I replied with. But the look on Fernanda's face said otherwise.

        "Honestly? She didn't seem fine when I left your house the other day. And what Wilmer did to her, I would think-"        

        "She's fine." I repeated, interrupting her.       

        "Kay," She said and grabbed onto Riley's arm, dragging her out of the bathroom. 

        15 minutes.

        Should I leave now? By the time I walk home, school would be over. I could just tell Mom that I got a ride home, because she'd obviously ask how I got home so fast. I usually get home twenty minutes after school is over when I walk, and when I have a ride it's usually five to ten minutes depending when I get out of the school. I'll just tell her I got a ride, she doesn't need to know I went out early. She doesn't need to know anything.

        Stepping out of the bathroom, I make sure there's no one in the hallways. I cannot get caught. When there was absolutely nobody in the hallway, I made a run for it. But just as I was about to reach the front doors, I felt finger tips wrap around my forearm, making me flip around to look who it was.

        "Ms. Lovato, where do you think you're going?" Mr. Holly, our vice-principal said.

        "Home. My mom's here to pick me up." I tugged on my arm expecting the male to let go, but he didn't loosen his grip at all.        

        "We have a rule that you can't leave the school without your parents permission. One of your parents have to sign you out. Come to my office and we'll wait for her to show up, yeah?"