Chapter Thirteen: The Breaking Point

"Calm down, love," PJ said as he tried to keep his voice low, "It's not what you think."

            "Oh, it's not?!" Victoria shouted at him, her arms crossed and her mind racing, "Tell me, PJ; do you really expect me to believe that nothing happened between you and Denise?"

            "Yes!"

            "Then explain to my why you have lipstick stains on your cheek, messed up hair and clothes and why Denise looks like she just got raped!"

            "Because she was raped!"

            Gasps echoed around the lounge. They came from not only Victoria but also from Charlie, Phil, Dan and Rebecca who were by the door behind Victoria. Charlie couldn't believe what he had just heard. Was it true? He sure hoped not. He took a step forward and spoke, his voice nearly breaking, "By who? When?"

            PJ gulped, "Well, she was attacked by rapists. Five or six of them, maybe—?"

            "Five or six?!" Charlie shouted right before he rushed to Denise and hugged her, causing her to wake up, "Oh my god, Denise! I shouldn't have let you leave without me!"

            "It's fine, Charlie," PJ said as she tried to explain further, "I was there to save her. They only slightly ripped her clothes—"

            "I don't care!!" Charlie shouted, his tears threatening to fall, "She was harmed! I am never letting her out of my sight, ever!!"

            "Calm down," Denise said weakly as she reached out and caressed Charlie's face, "What matters is that I'm home now and that PJ helped me. You should thank him for being so brave."

            Charlie nodded and turned to PJ, "Thank you."

            PJ smiled, "No problem. I couldn't let them harm her."

            Feeling extremely guilty for accusing PJ and Denise for doing something unspeakable, she spoke calmly, "Um... maybe we should all go get Denise something to eat. She must be hungry."

            Everyone obeyed and followed her to the kitchen quietly. But right before Dan and Rebecca got out of sight, Denise called out to them as she sat up, "Wait! Dan, can I talk to you?"

            Oh no, Dan thought, maybe I should tell her now? Maybe I should tell her about Rebecca and I. Heart starting to beat fast, he responded, "I have to tell you something as well."

            "You should go first."

            Oh god, how am I going to tell her? Dan shouted in his mind, She might notice I'm lying! What am I going to do?!

            But just as he was about to stammer, Rebecca spoke for him, "Dan and I are dating now."

            Again, gasped were heard from everyone. But no one was as affected as Denise. How was she supposed to confess to him now? He was dating Rebecca. She had no chance. It was over. Dan was out of her reach for good.

            She stopped herself from crying before speaking, "Oh. That's... great news."

            "Yeah," Charlie added half-heartedly. He didn't know why but he felt like he just got stabbed. Why did this confession affect him too much? He didn't understand and didn't want to understand.

            Feeling the awkward aura, Rebecca rushed to the kitchen and ushered everyone with her. But before Dan followed her lead, Denise forced herself to stand up and call out his name, "Daniel!"