one hundred twelve

5 YEARS LATER

5 YEARS LATER

Chrysanthemums. Particularly, white ones. In many cultures, they're the symbolization of death, grief, and mourning. Of course, Tony didn't know that. That's why he never questioned the odd number of chrysanthemums that had been planted in the garden outside the front door.

17. One for each member of the team that had turned to dust. Plus, the countless others in planter boxes all over the house, symbolizing each and ever life that they had cost by losing. Tony might've tried to move on, but he'd never know that she never did. That her countless hours in the garden weren't her time of peace, but they were the one time she allowed herself to mourn for 5 continuous years.

"Mrs. Stark? You want me to just throw this stuff in the mailbox?"

Audelia Stark dragged herself up from where she was crouched in front of the flower beds at the front of the house, squinting slightly in the sun as she recognized their regular mailman, Thomas. She took one look back at the white flowers that bloomed before her, realizing that her mourning for the day had ended.

"Yes please! Thank you Tom, see you tomorrow!"

"Have a good day, Mrs. Stark,"

In the 5 years had passed, nightmares still plagued Audelia's mind of that battle she knew she'd never forget. 

Tony had kept a promise that he had made so many years ago. They settled down, a little cabin like house right on the edge of a lake, plenty of acres for animals, and for the girls. But even as she sat there and heard the laughs of her daughters down by the lake, she couldn't shake the pain that came along with knowing that they had been one of the lucky ones, while many others were not.

"Lunch is ready," Deli looked up, smiling as Tony leaned over the railing of the porch, grinning down at her. She rose to her feet, leaning up as he captured her lips in a short kiss. "I'm never going to get tired of that."

There was a short noise from the side as Tony pulled back, glaring at the alpaca standing in his pen not so far away.

"Gerald, I'm tired of your shit,"

Audelia laughed, smacking Tony with her gloves as she took them off, placing them on the ground.

"Stop harassing the poor thing and let's go get the girls,"

Tony didn't waste a second in descending the stairs, his arm finding it's rightful place around her waste as they walked off toward the lake, hearing the laughter of the girls inside of their little makeshift tent.