eighty-one

"Are you watching the news? Because mommy says that's bad for you and you shouldn't,"

Wanda Maximoff couldn't help the small laugh that fell past her lips at the sweet, innocent voice of the four and a half year old in the doorway. Steve Rogers sat on the girl's bed beside her, smiling as little Aurora Motter ran into the room, climbing into Wanda's arms. The older girl relaxing, hugging the girl close as she rested her head on top of the little girl's.

"Hi Uncle Steve,"

"Hi little soldier," Steve chuckled back, pinching the little girl on the cheek as she giggled.

"She might be young, but she's not wrong," Audelia's voice carried through the room as the pair looked up, seeing her leaning against the door frame. She sent Wanda a kind smile, one she hoped was comforting. "We might be heroes, but we are only human. Mistakes will happen."

"This mistake cost lives," Wanda mumbled, playing with little Aurora's hair.

"This job . . . we try to save as many people as we can. Sometimes that doesn't mean everybody. But if we can't find a way to live with that, next time . . . maybe nobody gets saved,"

Steve looked up at Audelia after speaking, getting an encouraging smile back from his friend just as Vision phased through the wall, starling everyone in the room except for Aurora, who only laughed.

"Vis! We talked about this,"

"Yes, but the door was open so I assumed that..." Vision trailed off, waving off his after thought as he looked at Steve. "Captain Rogers wished to know when Mr. Stark arrived, though I assume by the presence of Ms. Audelia and Aurora that you already know."

"Thank you. We'll be right down,"

Vision nodded, choosing to leave through the door this time as he gave a nod to Audelia on his way out. The woman motioned for Aurora to join her, picking her up and placing her on her hip as she looked back at Steve and Wanda.

"If I were you I'd hurry up...Tony invited a guest,"

"Who?"

"The Secretary of State,"

◼ ◼ ◼

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my back-swing. Turned out it was the best round of my life, because after 13 hours of surgery and a triple bypass . . . I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me: Perspective. The world owes the Avengers an un-payable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives . . . but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some . . . who would prefer the word 'vigilantes',"

Audelia sat at the head of the table directly across from Secretary Ross, Steve to her right and Sam to her left with the rest of the team gathered around the table. She spared a single glance back at Tony, who sat on a chair in the corner, but he wouldn't meet her gaze. She sighed, turning her attention back to Ross.