41. I'll Find You

Depuis le début

"What that's impossible...she was with me. I remember calling for help," I tried explaining to her. I refused to believe what she was telling me was true. Why would they only bring me here to the hospital and leave Sierra behind? Nothing is making sense to me anymore. "Where else would she be? And why the fuck am I in handcuffs?" I looked at her with frustration and confusion.

"Cause you're being detained Mr. Walker," a deep voice said from a distance. A tall man dressed down in a black suit and tie walked in. His steps were loud when he entered the room. He had a stern look on his face. I didn't recognize him at all, he seemed to be an authority of some sort because he had a name tag and badge on his blazer.

"Hey! You have no authorization to be in here!" The nurse yelled at him. "I called for the doctor!" He brushed passed her, to get closer to me. He stood directly in front of me, with a straight posture and his hands crossed to his chest.

"I'm sorry but this case is now under the hands of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, and not Mercy's hospital," he responded back to her. She didn't have a response afterwards. I watched her set the cup to my side and leave the room. He then faced me again, "My name is Lorenzo Garcia, I'm a homicide detective and I have a few questions to ask pertaining to the incident that happened last night."

"Detained? What am I being detained for?" I asked trying to comprehend every word that came out of his mouth. "I don't understand why I'm being detained...what did I do?"

"That's exactly what I'm here to find out....you've made a 911 distress call last night around 12:58 midnight claiming someone in particular wanted to kill you and your wife in your own home...." he said.

"Yes, a woman attempted to kill me and my wife in my own house then I called—"

"When the police showed up to the scene, you were the only person found inside your house and your wife wasn't there," he cut me off mid sentence barely giving me enough time to explain myself. "Which sort of throws us off and and that's the reason why I'm here," he smiled. "It's nothing that you did Michael, I'm actually here to help and find the right answers."

I laughed at the last part of his sentence clearly sensing his bullshit. When someone is being detained, the interrogator clearly has one agenda and that's to find out what they've done wrong, making them a possible suspect of some kind of incident, not the victim. "If you're here to help, you wouldn't interrogate me in the middle of a fucking hospital room!" I tugged at the handcuffs again. "Can you get this thing off of me, please."

"I'm afraid I can't do that until you tell me exactly what happened last night," he responded. "The harder you pull at it, the more painful it'll be for you."

"I don't know what you're asking me, I don't even remember half of the shit that happened! I got shot," I said to him but by the look of his face, it seemed like none of my words were convincing to him.

"You can first start off by telling me what happened to Sierra and where she is....you know the wife you claimed was bleeding to death," He said to me. He took a chair and placed it next to me.

"What?" I gave him a hard look. "How the fuck am I supposed to know that? I nearly died by a deranged person who was obsessed with me to the point where she wanted to kill me! I made that distress call because I feared for Sierra's life! The last time I saw her was before I got shot. Clearly you see me laying here on a hospital bed."

"Can you tell me the name of that person?"

"I don't know her real name but she goes by Veronica. She's been harassing me and making my life a living hell. She should be the ones in handcuffs not me," I argued. "Chief county officer, Lance....he was with her as well, the same officer I've been seeing at the department for the last couple of weeks. If you want proof, I filed a restraining order against her a few days back and he was the one who placed it in. And he was the one who shot me."