AUTHOR'S NOTE - My COVID-19 Holiday Project

Time is Precious, Time is Rare

Time is Distant, Time is Near...

Sometimes, Time seems to stop or speed up depending on what's going on. Such a thing happened while our nation (Nigeria), and a chunk of the world, was on lockdown due to the spreading Corona Virus. When the virus first started spreading from China, many of us had no idea how this novel virus would affect us and our year. But here we are, living 2020, a year we never envisaged.

A majority of Nigerian Universities had resumed at the beginning of the year after the sessional break. However, for Engineering students who had just completed the SWEP program during the 'holiday' period, it wasn't much of a break. We just continued going to school as the previous session flowed into the next. As the mid-term break approached, we mostly looked forward to it. We knew we still had assignments and mini-projects to deal with, as well as tests to prepare for, but at least we could rest a bit too. Interestingly, ASUU's warning strike coincided with BUK's mid-term break. We didn't think much of it at the time. Little did we know, we were to go on a loooooooooong break.

By that time, COVID-19 was spreading like wildfire. Before long, it reached Nigeria. In a bid to control its spread, measures had to be swiftly taken. Hence, the closure of public places and regulation of interactions. It all happened so fast. Before long, schools, markets and other public places were deserted, leaving the populace 'locked down' in their homes. Many people were thrown into a state of uncertainty as one lock-down period succeeded another. The days melded into one another as we felt quite suffocated, wondering what to do with our Time. From the recesses of my mind came an idea... How about a COVID-19 Project?

At that time, I wasn't too clear on what I wanted to do during this period. I was only determined to achieve something memorable within the period. I had to do something with my Time, something that could benefit myself and others too. Therefore, after the initial limbo stage, I decided to catch up on some works I'd always wanted to do but couldn't undertake due to one reason or the other, especially when school was in session.

Ramadan came and went, and a memorable one it was too! With schools out of session, it was quite unlike the previous two years, when students had to battle with tests, exams and the weather while fasting. However, for the general populace, it was frankly one of the most trying times ever. Resources were really scarce due to the restriction on movement, rendering many families destitute. There was hunger, there was pain. There were illnesses and there were deaths... and amidst it all, I was thinking, what could I possibly do?! Humanity is but one body, when a part is hurt, the rest feel the pain.

The answer came in my literary endeavours. Though a student of Science currently studying Engineering, I've always been a fan of literature. I loved reading, and writing too. So, when my mind suggested I revisit old manuscripts, I readily welcomed the idea. At the time, I was doing it because I had the Time, because my passion propelled me to... until another idea presented itself to me. I figured out that I had an answer to the question of what I could do in the midst of the harsh economic conditions. A book I wrote could be used as a fundraiser. That way, my conscience could be pacified by impacting lives with the help of God.

The book I had in mind was originally written in 2017. Over the years, I'd made it freely available on Wattpad, an international book site, receiving feedback, making corrections... As those familiar with the writing process would agree, a book is never really completely polished. Each time the author reads it, he or she discovers ways to make it better, some things that could be added or omitted. Well, this book can be tagged the most complete of my 'works-in-progress'. I've come a long way with it, especially as it has been read and critiqued by readers from all over the world.

This piece of literary work is titled 'Shirk in Disguise'. Curious about the title? It's part of the unique mystery of the work. Apart of the widely-understood meaning of 'Shirk' as Polytheism, the word, in English, is a term for 'evasion of duty (responsibility/obligation)' or 'obtaining through trickery'. It contains messages suitable for all reading ages, as it explores various themes in realistic circumstances. Set in Northern Nigeria, it showcases themes like family relations, sacrifice, survival, love, relationships, culture, religion, social strata, childhood, youth, adulthood, school and campus life, internal and external struggles, bureaucracy, and so much more. 'Shirk in Disguise' also explores concepts like Choice, Actions, Personal Vices, Reality and Illusion as contained in the book's preface.