Chapter 13

Days later, Yusuf still wasn't keen on marrying Mariya. Not only was his heart against the idea, even his mind kicked against it for he was almost one hundred percent sure that the girl and her mother were only after the riches they thought he had. He'd even forgotten the last time he saw the woman, not to mention her daughter, therefore their sudden appearance seemed pretty suspicious. Ideal partners should be eternal companions having the same mindset who would be able to stick together for better or for worse, not careless flings or opportunistic gold-diggers. He resolved to pay the girl a visit.
When he informed his mother that he wanted to travel to Kaduna to pay Mariya a visit, she was beside herself with joy, thinking that he'd finally agreed to come to his senses and marry the girl. Unknown to her, he had a perfectly different plan in mind.

The journey from Kano to Kaduna was uneventful and he was very glad when the almost three-hour journey came to an end. Even though his car was in a perfectly good condition, he didn't make the journey with it – that was all part of 'the plan'. He had no problem in locating the house inhabited by Mariya and her family and on stopping by the gate, he sent a little boy to call her for him. He corrected his posture as he awaited her presence.

Mariya, on receiving the summons, felt very excited that Yusuf had finally come round to accepting her as his wife. She'd hitherto been idly chatting with her friend, Hafsa, when she received Yusuf's message. Therefore, she lost no time in quickly freshening up in anticipation of a romantic chat.

Her gentle but firm steps attracted Yusuf's attention who had been busy observing his immediate environment while waiting for Mariya. He quickly turned in her direction and saw that she was busy cat-walking and smiling at him. Unknown to her, all that didn't catch his fancy.

She reached where he was standing and promptly greeted him, not minding that he didn't answer as enthusiastically as he should've done. It was their first official meeting after-all. She made to spread the mat which was rolled under her arm for him but he stopped her, saying that he wouldn't stay long.

Yusuf cleared his throat as he thought of where to start. "Ehm...actually I came to make a confession..." he began, arresting her total attention.

"Yeeees...I'm all ears," she replied, a tad apprehensive.

"I don't think I'm the right man for you."

'What!' she thought, glancing at him in dismay. She really couldn't afford to lose him, not because of any lovey-dovey affection but because he seemed to be the richest of her suitors. She therefore resolved to convince him that he was really perfect for her.

"Don't say that," she began. "There's nothing wrong with you."

"Even the fact that I'm broke?" he asked her with a wry smile, watching her reactions which promptly changed from shock to despair.

Mariya looked behind him and around the neighborhood, as if noticing something for the first time. Is that why you didn't come with your car?" she whispered.

"Of course!" he confirmed. "It's actually my only asset..." Yusuf watched interestedly as her face lost color. It was as if his mere presence was repulsive to her. He was certainly right in his guess – the girl only wanted his money.

"I won't hold you for long..." he offered, preparing to leave.

"Oh...ok," she quickly agreed, as if afraid he might change his mind and keep her stuck with him. She quickly shuffled back inside, reeling names of other prospective suitors in her head.

Yusuf watched her reaction with interest. She was really caught red-handed! He never even thought she could be so vulnerable, yet she fell for his trap. He slowly made his way to the bus station to get ready for his return voyage, thanking God for saving him from a bad marriage.

Yusuf's plan worked with great effect. Barely a couple of days later, a message was sent from Mariya's mother by courier stating her 'deep regret' in not being able to marry off her daughter to her friend's son. She also urged her not to take the issue to heart and pleaded with her to grace the occasion of Mariya's wedding, which was taking place in two months' time, with her presence.

A/N
A rather short chapter, I'm afraid. However, I just wanted to concentrate on this particular issue. You might think it's not too relevant to the story but I assure you, you'll get to understand the significance of this incident as you read on. The next chapters are just clicks away!

By the way, you must've noticed that even though Yusuf totally abhorred the idea of marrying Mariya, he didn't behave aggressively to avoid hurting his mother. Instead, he used wisdom and tact. That's the best way to go about such scenarios.☝

Anyway, let me know your opinions in the comment box. Don't hesitate to vote and share!👍