Chapter 32

Time waits for no man, or woman. Years flew by and both Azeema and Bilqees became successful in their different chosen paths.Using the cash gift given to them by Mr. and Mrs. Marzuq on the day they became university graduates, they both made a head start in life.

Bilqees, ever the attention-seeking one, got herself a completely new look. Her skin glowed, her features dazzled and her figure got trimmed. With her new look, she took her first steps towards fulfilling her wildest dreams – being a famous personality whose name would be on everyone's lips. With her head held high, she marched into the film industry.

Azeema used hers in establishing a chain of boutiques which grew to become well-known throughout the country, especially among the classy nouveau riche. With time, Azeema expanded her business and even became a major brand name known to most households. In the span of four years, she rose to great heights and amassed great wealth...but she was far from contented. She wanted more.

On a certain Saturday, Azeema was sighing in exasperation, hopelessly stuck in traffic. Considering how much she valued the event she was supposed to attend and the fact that she hated delays, it wasn't surprising. She blared the car horn countless times even though she knew there was no way out of the almost-still traffic.

About a quarter of an hour later, when she'd resigned herself to her fate, the traffic began moving. At first it was moving like an old tortoise, then it accelerated and soon enough, she was speeding off, eager to reach her destination.

Twenty minutes later, Azeema finally parked her car and quickly got out. To her utter dismay, it seemed like the gathering was actually breaking up. Nevertheless, she locked the car and quickly dashed into the elaborately-decorated event centre.

As she approached the grim-looking security guards, she brandished her invitation card in their face and they waved her in. Still, she had to push her way through because of the throng of departing guests. Nevertheless, she trudged on, trying to look ahead. Even after entering the hall, she couldn't seem to find the celebrant. A couple of minutes later, she spotted the object of her search surrounded by guests and well-wishers.

"Ahh, Friendy I'm so, so sorry..." her apologies preceded her.

Meanwhile, the tastefully dressed bride turned to face her. Her face was expressionless as she folded her arms, askance.

"I was in a traffic hold-up," Azeema tried to explain her lateness even without being asked. Actually, she hadn't gotten ready early enough in the first place but she just found it convenient to blame it on the traffic.

"Well, I'll pardon you for good times' sake," Bilqees, who was the bride, finally spoke with a small smile. Obviously, she didn't want anything to ruin her present mood. She was getting married after all!

Actually, it wasn't famous actress Bilqees's first marriage, nor was it her second. Her union with business tycoon Alhaji Sa'eed Nuruddeen was her third marriage in three years. The first marriage had been to a Customs Officer named Zubayr Binyamin who she'd met during her one-year NYSC (National Youth Service Corps) program in Lagos state. However, she'd left him eleven months later when a probe revealed that he'd been involved in various corrupt practices which led to his forced retirement and the confiscation of his properties. She felt it was bad for her 'reputation'.

Her second husband was a famous film producer and director who was still a bachelor in his early forties. Marwan Zayyad was greatly rumored to have a terminal illness so it took everyone by surprise when Bilqees agreed to marry him barely six months after the dissolution of her first marriage. Tongues wagged and the couple's fame increased as their union brought them into the spotlight more often. Tragically, Marwan died in the second month of his marriage.

Now, less than a year after Marwan's death, Bilqees was basking in the public eye again. Her marriage to Sa'eed had also succeeded in elevating her public status after the wild rumors speculating that she'd probably killed her former husband had died down. Actually, she hadn't done anything to help matters – she had barely grieved and had openly basked in the glory of her inheritance.

On the other hand, Azeema hadn't gotten married yet and hadn't even been in a serious relationship. Perhaps she was testing the waters or didn't even have any interest whatsoever. In her eyes, every suitor was a prospective 'Faysal' and she avoided 'Faysals' as much as possible. She was even considering spinsterhood.

"Come over here," Bilqees beckoned. "I want you to meet somebody."

"Okay," Azeema obliged as she reached for Bilqees's extended hand.

"Who do you want me to meet?" Azeema asked as they disengaged themselves from people and made towards a corner of the hall.

"Well, he's a prospective suitor for you..." Bilqees replied with a mischievous grin.

"Come on, you know I'm really not interested!" Azeema protested.

"Don't worry, Friendy. This one's different from the others."

"Really?" Azeema sounded skeptical. "Who is this Different Guy?"

"I'm sure you know the name – Adnan Tahir Mahmoud."

"No way!" Azeema stopped in her tracks. "You mean the famous A.T.M?" She asked, referring to his nickname which was coined from his initials and was incidentally the acronym of the Automated Teller Machine.

"That's right!" Bilqees confirmed.

"But how did you even get to know him?"

"I have my ways. Fame pays off, you know," Bilqees replied with a wink.

Azeema, who was still dumbstruck, let herself be led by the excited Bilqees. With their hands clasped together, they wove in and out of people until they reached a gathering of men. On reaching there, Azeema had no doubts that Bilqees was surely not joking. The men in front of her were surely high-profile business men and she was surprised that Bilqees seemed to know them quite well.

Azeema watched her friend as if she was from another world. The man before her was the richest in their part of the world, though a large chunk of the wealth was inherited. Collecting her nerves, she gave him a weak smile as he also bared his kolanut-stained teeth at her.

"Now who do we have here?" he leered.

A/N

A cliffhanger, right? Yeah I know. Read on to find out what happens next in this epic tale!

Vote. Comment. Share.

Thanks in advance!😌