Chapter 3

Perhaps if the trio and other people who knew about the Fanna-Yusuf love story were aware of the history behind their love, they wouldn't have pondered over its nature. It was a love founded on the basis of true mutual understanding and pure spiritual intention, birthing peaceful companionship and tranquility, hence its long-lasting effect.

Yusuf hadn't always been a good Muslim. In fact, he'd been quite carefree especially in his mid-twenties. Being the only male child in his family and the only child borne by his mother, he'd been quite spoilt as a child.

"Let him enjoy his life; one only lives once!" His mother always argued when advised to be stricter with him by well-wishers, not considering that 'living only once' in this world is all the more reason to use one's lifetime wisely. So young Yusuf was allowed to do as he pleased and no one, not even his dormant father, could stop him because his mother had the final say in the household.

After graduating from Bayero University, Kano with a second-class upper degree in Financial Accounting, Yusuf got a job as a teacher in a prestigious secondary school in the Kano metropolis. Being the carefree guy he was, he lost no time in lazing around and flirting with his female students. Among those students was Sarah Habib.

Sarah was the last child of the managing director of Accord Bank, the most successful bank in Northern Nigeria. She was the beloved of her parents and was quite over-pampered and used to having her own way. She fell for the handsome young teacher just like many of her fellow female students but being the girl she was, she went a little further.

"Daddy, I've been meaning to ask you a favour..." She began coyly while having a chit-chat with her father one sunny Saturday afternoon in his parlour, a magnificent room which was part of his luxurious palatial mansion of a house.

"What is it, my Angel?" Her father asked her while turning to face her, giving her his full attention.

"I want a lesson teacher!" She declared, pouting slightly.

"That's not a big deal my dear, but on which subject?" He asked her.

"Accounting," she simply said.

On hearing her reply, her father looked at her in a puzzled manner. "But I thought you wanted to study Law?!"

At this point, Sarah fixed her gaze on her fingers, fiddling with her gold and silver rings.

"Well let's just say I changed my mind..." She finally mustered the courage to utter, and then as if as an after-thought, she added, "I now want to follow in your footsteps, Daddy darling!" She flashed him her best smile.

Alhaji Habib grinned on hearing his daughter's reply and whatever doubts he'd entertained regarding her motive for wanting an Accounting teacher vanished completely. Among all his other four children, none had expressed interest in his career line, a fact that had hitherto troubled him a bit but this utterance from his dearest child had made up for all the others' excesses.

"That's good to hear, my Angel..." He began, "I'll ask my secretary to find a suitable lesson teacher for you..."

"No!" His daughter abruptly interrupted him before he could complete his statement, making him stare at her, mouth agape.

On realizing that she'd made a wrong impression, Sarah quickly sought to reframe her disagreement with her father's decision. "What I meant was..." She began, "...that I already have a highly qualified teacher in mind." She stammered.

"Oh, okay then." Her father replied, still puzzled a bit by his daughter's reaction. "Who is he or she?" He asked her.

"Just my teacher from school – Malam Yusuf." She replied coyly.