Chapter 17: Stone

Fade to black.

Stone was enveloped in darkness. No sight or sound. He wasn't sure he felt his toes. Suddenly, as if biblical, there was light.

"Ah, you're awake. A young apprentice survives-"the whispering voice cut off. Stone opened his eyes, a Fenrik stared at him, a beautiful humanoid feline. It wore the robes of a mage and furry, pointed ears protruded from the soft gray cowl over its face, large blue eyes almost stammered at him in fear. 

Stone sat up. He was lying on a cot in a cool room which was dim, orange glowing salt crystals sprouted from sconces on walls covered with gorgeous murals depicting lands covered in snow and others in fall and still more in vivid spring. He felt a little woozy, as if waking from a surgery. He noticed the dark skin of his arms almost had a glow, there was an aura about him "Where am I?"

"You are in the catacombs of the Temple of Silver Hills. The North's Society of Mages t-trains and takes census of the mages which c-come to Avondere."

Stone wasn't sure if this Fenrick stuttered from fright or a condition. "I'm Stone, what is your name?"

"My name is Salander Staasgun. I'm s-sorry if I stare. You are a moon elf, yet your eyes have a strong azure glow like those of a Fenrick. I have a rare ability to s-sense a Mage's strength; your power is great, far too great for this to be your apprenticeship. I do not understand."

"Salander, could you tell me how to get to the Mule Kick bar?"

"Most c-call me Sal. I can mark it on your map. All mages are gifted with them along with the beginner robes, however you wear light armor which is another s-strange occurrence. Who are you?"

"My name is Stone." He wasn't sure how well it would go if Sal knew he was the Mage Eater god in a school full mages. He did notice a slight hunger if he looked at the Fenrick too long. It was like walking past a bakery or the scent of someone grilling caught on the wind and carried right to his nose.

"This is highly unusual. High M-mage Simshi will want to know about this."

"Thank you for marking my map." Stone opened his HUD and scrolled over to Silver Hills map. The bar was across town. The catacombs would lead up to the Mages Guild, from there he assigned to memory the few streets he would need to travel. "How do I get out of here?"

"O-of course you may leave at anytime, though it is recommenced you visit the library and speak with your assigned instructor, in your case, Wren the Silent, master of Illusion."

"Illusion." Stone couldn't hide the disappointment in his voice, but quickly realized this would include fields of study like stealth and other tools good for an assassin/mage build, which was a strange combination.

"Wren is the second highest mage of Silver Hills, only the High Mage outranks him. Illusion magic is the most difficult to master with only five percent of students reaching that level who have begun the Tree of Illusion branch within their abilities.

"Okay, Sal, I will head to the library and then find my way to the bar. Thank you, for your help." The hunger was getting stronger. He nodded to Sal and walked to the stairs the Fenrick pointed to when talking about speaking with Wren. He looked down at the hard black chest plate covering his torso, remembering how it looked on the Mage Eater. He grinned. He walked up the stone steps and into the main hall of the guild. Another set of stairs with enough curvature to suggest a spiral led up to the library, advised by the sign which labeled it so.

The library was huge. Each wall was covered from floor to ceiling with shelves of books. Ladders on rollers attached to steel rails across the length of the room allowed patrons to reach the highest tier. More shelves sprawled throughout the room itself and there were areas designated for sitting and reading and candle lit tables for writing. There were several rooms dedicated for silent study or a small conference. The smell of old paper and cedar was strong.

"Can I help you, young man?" A sturdy voice called from across the room. A silver haired man with a black patch covering his right eye studied Stone from a chair near the door.

"My name is Stone. I am a new mage specializing in Illusion. I was looking for-"

"I am Wren." The teacher interrupted. "You aren't dressed in traditional robes. This bodes well for one studying the craft of mischief. You don't appear fresh, but you are as green as a greggory tree. Why do you wish to study illusion magic?"

"I want to have the strength to defend myself and others against anyone, if necessary."

"Hmmm...strength for defense of others is a noble desire, though many have claimed to want power for one good intentioned cause or another only to become tyrants or devils. Remember that."

"If your going to teach me, I will be honest with you." Stone wasn't sure why but he liked Wren immediately, perhaps the mage was using a charm spell. He wanted to be genuine with the mage and might as well get his power and status in the open. "I am a new mage, but I beat the god Darkan and gained his title and power, after already having a massive mana pool to begin with."

Wren studied Stone's face carefully and burst out laughing. "By the gods, I like you, boy. A sense of humor is an essential ingredient in the making of a master of Illusion. I will accept you as my
pupil if you complete a somewhat dangerous task."

Stone smiled and second guessed his initial full disclosure. "I can't agree to it without knowing what it is."

"You will be helping an old widow who sent for aid, and other desperate town folk. Her name is Ada and she lives outside of town in a small village which has been plagued by bandits stealing the farmer's crops and collecting a tax from any villager wanting to access the main roads to Silver Hills and elsewhere. I see you have a decent staff of lighting which should pair well with the weather illusion spell I will teach you: Lightning strikes and thunder claps so vivid it should scare those ragamuffins off when you've told them you've been sent by the guild on official order to remove them. Normally, this would be accurate, but this matter is so small and the guild so busy a true wizard can't be spared at the moment. A guild wizard would make short work of them without any need for chicanery."

"I accept."

Wren nodded and pulled a yellow, cracked scroll from his inner robe. "Just unseal this scroll and read its contents and you will be made aware of the weather illusion spell. It can come in handy, but remember the winds blow nothing though you will feel air (if a person notices their hair and clothes don't move and think long enough they may break the spell), and lightning is harmless, no matter how intense. I will mark the location of the bandits camp on your map. Good luck, young Stone."

Stone took the scroll and nodded. He cracked the seal in an empty study room, a soft thunder rolled through his head. Was it audible? He didn't think so. The words on the page were not in English at first but scrambled and faded in and out until he could understand them:
Possess the false storm
Weather is furious fickle
Wind is without form
Thunder roll and ripple
See the pattern never more
Read the words of heaven's door

Stones heart raced and his fingers twitched with energy. Learned [WEATERMAN'S SHADOW] spell. Create the illusion of weather you desire. Any person within viewing distance will experience the illusion. Foe's intelligence check against your current wisdom for effectiveness. Cost 10 mana per second.

This game was incredible. The feeling of learning spells was exhilarating and the world itself was so real. Stone couldn't stop smiling since arriving. No wonder people were addicted. He could walk here. His disease has no hold on him. He could cast magic. He walked out of the guild and into the night. He wondered if the game's day and night matched that of each time zone in the real world. The night air was cool and sweet. The light of the moon made his muscles expand, his legs almost trembled with strength. He was a vampire. Sort of. The night part was definitely the same. He was made for the night now. How strong was he? Maybe he should pay those bandits a visit before meeting up with Pixel. He could take care of them tonight, help out that village, and be back at the Mule Kick with plenty of time. Adrenaline pumped through him as he began running in the direction of the large wall which protected the city from vagrants and wild things. He leapt over it without considering if he could.

"The Cat's l-lives!" Salander gasped. He had a hunch about Stone and followed him quietly outside thinking to watch him at the bar he spoke of. Seeing him leap over the wall was stunning. He had all he needed. He was more than a student mage and the Guild Master would want to know it. Who was he and what were his intentions? These were things for better minds than his. He rushed back to the Mage Guild to find Master Simshi.