Chapter 22: The Cameras

Hydra was last seen at Midtown. If I'm going to find them, I need to start there.

I wondered if they had any cameras. Perhaps I could see where they went? Or maybe find a clue of some sort?

All I knew was that if they wanted me, I needed to come to them. This was my fight. Not Steve's. Not Tony's. Not Peter's. Mine.

I got up from the couch and threw on my sneakers.

God Tony please don't kill me.

I checked the outside, but no one was waiting for me, so I briskly walked im towards the school, using my phone as a GPS.

Finally, I arrived back at school, around 10:15am. I hoped that Peter didn't come back to school, because he would be all worried to why I came back.

Carefully, I walked back up the steps and into the hallways. Class must have been in session, since no one was there.

Alright, now to see if the school has cameras set up.

I walked around the hallways, peering upwards and into corners of the ceiling. I eventually reached the bathrooms where Peter and I faced the Hydra agent. I stopped and looked above me. There, against a wall was a small, tucked away camera, with a red blinking light.

Perfect.

Suddenly, the bell rung and kids started to pour out of their classes. I walked among them towards the office, where I would have to come up with an excuse to get into whatever room they have the footage and-

"Ow!" someone said, and I realized I wasn't paying attention to where I was going.

"Oh, I'm sorry," I said, turning to see Ned staring back at me.

"Y/N! Hey, where did you go? You and Peter never came back to get your stuff," Ned remarked. I can't deal with this right now.

"Uh, I can't explain it right now..."

"Are you guys okay?"

"Yeah yeah, we are fine I just really need to go," I explained.

"Wait, do you by any chance know where the security room is?" I asked suddenly.

"Oh yeah! Peter and I went in there once for an experiment on UV Waves..."

"Ned!"

"Right, sorry. It's next to the janitors closet down that hall," he explained, pointing.

"Thank you!" I said, running off in the direction he pointed.

Whew, that was close.

I approached the door, and saw that it was locked. Shit. I looked around at the moving students, and saw that there was a bobby pin on the ground. I picked it up and got to work, thankfully no one was paying attention.

When I could finally open the door, I got inside and shut it, as I locked it again.

The room before me was poorly lit, with a dim lightbulb badly filling the room. There were about 6 small screens on top of a desk, and a couple control keyboards, and a chair. I sat down in the chair and started to familiarize myself with the controls.

I quickly identified which camera showed the area where Peter and I were attacked. Bingo. I scrolled to the camera and rewinded it, watching as students suddenly walked much faster, but backwards throughout the hallways. Then, no one was there. I kept rewinding it until suddenly I saw a blurred action happening, so I paused and played that event from the beginning.

It started as me going inside of the bathroom, and disappearing from the feed. After a minute, Peter appeared in the frame, running to the outside of the bathroom. The sound quality was shit, but I remembered what he was saying. I appeared out of the bathroom, and we talked for a moment, before we both turned to something off the camera. The Hydra agent. Peter pushed me behind him, and we stood there for a bit.

Suddenly, Peter shot a web off the camera and we started running off frame. I fast-forwarded slightly until I saw the Hydra agent run out the doors across from the bathroom, and I could barely see the street right outside of the doors. A van pulled up and he got inside, and it drove away. I waiting for a bit, and I saw Peter as Spider-Man exit that same way, and eventually walk back as Peter.

I was about to stop watching, when I had a feeling I needed to keep looking. Peter and I made our way outside that door, and I saw Tony's car pull up. We got inside, and he drove off. But something caught my eye.

The Van. It followed us. That wasn't a coincidence. It had previously gone out the other way, now it changed directions to follow us!

Oh my god.

I returned the cameras back to the live feed, and ran out of that room.

"That girl! She's the one who broke in!" Some student said, pointing at me to a teacher. They started running at me, but I was faster.

I dashed out of the building and ran back towards the tower.

They must have followed us all the way back to the tower! They knew I was there!

Shit shit shit!

I wouldn't let myself get tired. I just kept running. Finally, I turned a corner and was on the street that led to the tower. I turned my gaze to a familiar car, parallel parked across the street.

The Van.

I approached it, carefully but came to realize that there was no one inside. That's odd. Don't bad guys usually have someone ready to get away?

Then I realized.

They thought they were coming for me. Me alone. They sent everyone they had to get me.

BOOM!

My attention turned towards the top of the tower, which was now covered in smoke and flames. Glass fell down on the streets, and people around me screamed and ran.

Oh my god.

That was almost me.

I couldn't do this anymore. They were hurting others now. Innocent people, just to get to me. I needed to stop them. Me alone. I climbed into the van (which was unlocked, dumb) and sat in the trunk.