Chapter 18: Nervousness

Tony and Pepper went off to another room, and didn't come back for a long time. I started hearing their muffled voices through the walls.

After 30 minutes, Tony came back and looked like nothing had happened.

"So?" I asked.

"What?"

"What was that all about?"

"Pepper was just...a little confused as to why you were here so I had to explain to her that I adopted you," he said calmly.

"Who is Pepper though?" I asked, genuinely confused.

"She is my girlfriend," he said, and my eyes widened.

"SHES YOUR GIRLFRIEND?!" I asked.

"That's what I said, yes."

"Man she must put up with a lot," I joked. He smiled and nudged me a bit.

"Alright well, I think this was a successful training session. You are now ready to enter the world of High School," he said dramatically.

"I've been to high school before..."

"Don't ruin the moment kid," he said.

"So which ones am I bringing to school?" I asked.

"All of them."

"What?! That won't cause any suspicion," I said sarcastically.

"You need them to be safe," he pointed out.

"I'll just bring these two," I said, motioning to the bracelet-watch and an alert system trigger.

"Fine. You should uh-probably get to bed," he said, and I nodded.

"You can choose literally any room as your bedroom, except for the master, which is always mine," he said, motioning to the bedroom at the end of the hall.

"I don't know, I kind of like that one already," I joked.

"What, you need enough space for 2 people in a bed?" he asked, crossing his arms.

"What? No..." I said, and Tony gave me the eyebrows.

"Yeah, you're damn straight," he muttered, walking towards his bedroom.

"How about this one?" I said, pointing to the one I had napped in earlier.

"If you want it. You need anything else before bed?" he asked.

"Uh...my bag? The one I had before...I think I left it on the plane..." I said.

"Oh we have it. It's next to the couch in the living space," he said. I nodded.

"Great, uh. I guess that's everything," I said, worried to ask for too much.

"Okay. Goodnight," he said, and walked away.

"Goodnight," I called after him.

That felt weird. I guess...we just need to get used to each other, is all.

I got my bag and brought it to my new room. I never noticed there was a bathroom attached, but there was. I laid out an outfit I had picked to bring on the trip, that looked alright to wear to school. I brushed my teeth and turned off the lights.

I took a moment to look out towards the city. It was so...chaotically beautiful. There were still sounds of honking cars, people talking and just the world living.

And then I had a total moment of Euphoria.

Everything was going to be alright.

I climbed into my new bed and dozed into a deep sleep.

The next morning I awoke to a calming repeating chime noise. I couldn't pinpoint exactly where it was coming from, but it was a nice way to wake up. Once I sat up, it stopped. What-

I walked over to my outfit I had picked out and put it on. A cute gray sweatshirt, leggings and my sneakers. I brushed through my hair, and put it into a low ponytail. I brushed my teeth and walked out my new bedroom door.

I didn't see Tony, or really anyone in the living space/kitchen/whatever. I walked over to something that was on the couch. It was a new backpack with some basic school supplies. There was a sticky note attached, and I read the writing.

Can't send you to school empty handed. You'll do great.
-T.S.

I smiled and folded it into my pocket. I grabbed the backpack and swung it over my shoulders, when suddenly I heard a noise that made me turn around towards the balcony.

There stood Peter, in his spidey suit, leaning against the window, with a backpack on.

"You ready to go?" he asked.

"I am, but you're not," I remarked.

"That's why we are leaving early. I swing us about a block before school, then I change in an alleyway and we walk in totally normal," he said.

"Or...we could have just walked?" I suggested.

"Well...this way is more fun!" he said excitedly.

"Whatever you say, Parker," I said, tightening my backpack's straps.

"You can't tell me it's not," he said, as I held onto him.

"It's scary, but sure. It's fun," I said, smiling, trying to hide my nervousness. I had never been the new girl at a school before. And even though I had Peter, I felt...alone? Is that the right word? Peter noticed and looked down at me.

"Hey, you'll be fine. I'll be with you the whole way," he said, and I nodded before we started swinging out towards Queens.

Though I still wasn't used to swinging around with Peter, it all felt the same, since I kept my eyes closed the whole time.

Just like every other time, Peter eventually found his way back to the ground, and I unhooked my legs from his torso and opened my eyes again.

"You know, it's really not that bad," he said, noticing how I never opened my eyes.

"I'm not great with heights," I admitted.

Peter got changed into his school clothes behind a dumpster, and we both walked out and towards the school together.