Chapter 9: My Second Chance

"Hey look, I'm really sorry about...well, everything," Peter spoke up, and I turned to him.

"It's not your fault," I said.

"No, I mean for our fight. I was just trying to impress Mr. Stark, and I don't know-I wasn't thinking. And you could've-"

"But I didn't. You saved me. So if anything, I should thank you," I interrupted. He smiled lightly.

"You really did save everyone though. No matter who's team you were on, you used your powers to protect them," Peter said, staring into the space in front of us.

"I don't believe that anyone deserves to get hurt. Everyone's a human being who makes mistakes," I said, reciting my life motto. Life was giving me a second chance now, so I was gonna take it and run with it.

"That's a good way to think," he said and I smiled.

"I don't want to go back," I explained, suddenly. Peter turned towards me.

"I don't-I don't want to go back to the people who never loved me. Who were never there. Who didn't treat me like you guys do, in this short period of time that we have been together. There must be a reason Steve found me and brought me into this, so I want to stay," I ranted. I looked up to see Peter's eyes so focused on mine.

"We'll figure something out. For now, you're here," he said. Then unexpectedly, all the Avengers came back into the room, with serious looks plastered on their faces.

"There's another mission. It's Hydra," Black Widow said.

"Who is Hydra?" I asked.

"Not who. What. Hydra is an organization that wants the world to hand over its freedom to them. They are slowly causing more and more chaos until the world is vulnerable enough to take," Rhodes explained.

"We have to go. We've seen reports of them causing few bombings in Tallinn," said Black Widow. I wish I knew her real name, cause falling her black widow feels weird.

"Are we leaving now?" I asked, standing up.

"You aren't coming with us," she said, and I made a confused face.

"Why not? I can help," I said.

"Your leg still needs to heal, it's dangerous for you to be out there with us." God, this is why I hated getting hurt.

"My stupid leg won't stop me from helping. I'm going," I said, and they all still shook their heads.

"No, Y/N, you have to stay and get better," Vision said.

"You guys aren't my guardians, so technically, you can't make me stay," I said confidently.

"That's where you're wrong," a voice from behind me said. I turned to see Tony striding into the room, with a piece of paper in his hands.

"w-what?" I asked quietly, wondering what he was talking about.

"I have made the executive decision to adopt you," he said, calmly.

What? What was he talking about? How could he have-and what about-why would he-

But all I could think about, was that this was my chance to start a new, better life. A clean slate. I limped over to Tony slowly, and didn't care whether it was weird or not, but I hugged him. He seemed a little taken aback at first, not sure what to do.

I still clung to him. He had been so kind to me already, but this. This was what I needed. After a couple seconds, I felt him hug back.

"I'll take that as an 'I'm okay with this,'" he joked and I chuckled a bit.

"More than okay. Thank you," I said, feeling my eyes welling up.

"You're welcome kid. Now we got to go, but you and Parker need to stay here," he said, as we pulled away. I nodded, not wanting to fight with the guy that just changed my life.

"Guy, let's head to the jet," he said, and the rest of the Avengers followed, leaving Peter and I.

"Parker, don't let her try and follow us," Tony said, and winked. I crossed my arms.

"You're not going to, right?" Peter asked me, and I shrugged.

"You'll just have to stay real vigilant," I said, limping towards the hallway.

"So, let's see what this place is like," I said, and I heard him following me.

"You know, you probably shouldn't be walking around-"

"Parker, I'm fine. It's like...physical therapy," I said, and he sighed.

"So...what's down here?" I asked, slowly opening a door.

"We probably shouldn't be poking around where we aren't supposed to," Peter warned, and I looked back at him.

"Aren't you curious to what this place holds? I mean, its bound to have some fun stuff. Come on, it'll be fun," I said, grabbing his arm and pulling him into a dark room.

I found the light switch and turned it on. Peter's and my eyes lit up at the sight in front of us.

A whole tech lab.

I had never been super crafty/smart, but I was willing to learn.

I immediately ran-limped over to the desk, and looked at blueprints that lined the top. Peter came to my side and peered over them with me.

"You understand any of this?" I asked him.

"Well...yeah, I think," he said, trying to be modest. Though, I could tell he was smart.

"What is this?" I asked in awe. The sketch looked like one of his IronMan suits, but...different. It looked like it was meant for someone smaller than him, and with different abilities.

"Looks like a suit. But who's it for?" he asked, and I shrugged.

"There's got to be a prototype around," I said, looking around the lab.

"Ooh what's this?" I asked, leaning over to touch some tech-machine thing. My hand with instantly stopped, when Peter ran over and grabbed my wrist lightly.

"We shouldn't touch anything we don't understand," he said, and let go. I-I didn't know what I say, so I just nodded.