Chapter 19: Midtown

Peter and I walked in a comfortable silence up to the doors of the large brick building before us. Peter held the door and I walked inside, amongst the other kids my age.

"So, how exactly is this going to work?" Peter asked.

"Tony told me that he already pulled some strings and got me enrolled here, in all of your classes," I said. Thank god. He nodded.

"I swear Parker, your classes better not be impossible," I fake threatened. He chuckled.

"Hey they aren't! If you need any help though, I got you," he said, and I smiled.

"Yeah I'll probably take you up on that," I said. I noticed that Peter was scanning the hallways.

"Where is he..." he muttered to himself.

"Where is who?" I asked.

"My friend. He's in a few of my classes too, so I want you guys to meet," he said, and we approached a locker. Peter put in the code and it swung open.

"And he doesn't know you're Spider-Man, right?" I asked quietly.

"No, no of course not! He wouldn't be able to keep it a secret," he explained. I nodded, leaning against the locker next to his.

"So, how do we know each other?" I asked.

"Huh...I guess we could tell the truth?" he suggested, and I gave him a confused look.

"You literally just said he shouldn't know..."

"I mean that we recently met through...the Stark internship and are friends," he explained and I nodded, understanding the plan.

"Wow. You lie with such ease," I commented.

"Yeah well..."

"Hey Peter!" someone said, slapping Peter on the back. Peter jumped and turned around. They both laughed and started doing some handshake.

"Dude you got so spooked," the guy said.

"Yeah right," Peter said, and I cleared my throat. Clearly they had forgotten I was there.

"Oh! Uh Ned this is Y/N," Peter introduced. He turned to me and smiled.

"Oh, hi Y/N. I'm Ned, as you have heard. Are you new here?" he asked me.

"Yeah, I am."

"How do you know Peter?" he asked, turning to us both.

"Uh...I met her at the-Stark Internship retreat...thing," Peter said, and I nodded.

"That is so cool! How did you guys get interships? I want one..." he said, and I shrugged.

"Email Tony?" I suggested and he nodded enthusiastically.

"Oh thanks! I'll do that," he said, and suddenly we heard the bell ring. Peter started to walk towards class, and we both followed him.

"So Y/N, are you going to join any clubs, cause Peter and I are part of the academic decathlon, and it would be so sweet if you joined too," he said.

"Uh, I'll have to think about it," I said. I wasn't sure if I would want to, but it could be fun.

"Did you just move here?" Ned asked.

"Yeah, but my old place isn't that far," I admitted. I guess lying wasn't that hard when you are making up some bullshit.

"Move, freshman!" someone said, shoving Peter into the lockers. Peter looked really annoyed, but kept his head down.

"Dude, why is Flash acting like he isn't a freshman too?" Ned asked, also annoyed. Peter shrugged.

"He started paying the seniors to hang out with him and make him look cool," Peter said. I gave them both a confused glance.

"Who is this Flash guy, and why do I have such an urge to punch him?" I asked, and they chuckled lightly.

"Yeah you'll get that urge a lot. He's always picked on us, and pretty much anyone who isn't rich or popular or hot," Ned said, and I nodded.

"He's in decathlon too, but we can make sure he doesn't annoy you," Peter told me.

"Oh he won't get the chance," I said. I felt very confident in the fact that no one really knew me, so I could be whoever I wanted.

I decided to be a bit of a badass.

We walked into a classroom I identified as biology. Cool, I liked bio. Ned and Peter sat next to each other on the side of the table, and Peter motioned for me to sit at the end of the table, next to him.

"Y/N, you have this class?" Ned asked. I nodded.

"Turns out Peter and I have a lot of the same classes," I admitted, trying to hide my smile.

"Good morning guys. I hope everyone had a great weekend, but it is time to get our minds back into class time. Now, take out your 8.1 Molecules packet and I will come check it off," the woman teacher said. My eyes bulged.

"Peter..."

"It's fine. When she comes around I will introduce you as the new student and I'll give you the answers to the packet," Peter whispered to me as Ned took out his packet.

"Thank you," I whispered back.

Suddenly, my eye caught someone sauntering through the door. Her style was dark, but cool. She was really pretty, despite probably not putting much effort in. I got a good vibe from her.

"Ah, Ms. Jones. Do you have a pass?" the teacher asked and she pulled out a white slip of paper, handed it to her and walked to the back of the class.

"Uh, this is a shopping receipt..." the teacher said, but the girl already had pulled out a book.

"Who's that?" I asked.

"I don't know. She doesn't really have any friends, and we've certainly never talked to her," Ned said.

"She seems nice," I said, and they both gave me a look.

"Are you blind?" Peter asked.

"'The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance'," I quoted.

"Aristotle," Peter finished, sitting back in his chair.

"That's right."