Chapter 12: Steve?

"Y/N?" I heard a voice lightly echoing. I turned to the source of the sound, and I squinted my eyes open to see Peter's adorable face staring back at mine.

"Hey. Uh- they're coming back now. Should be here soon," he said, and I sat up and stretched a little.

"That was fast," I remarked.

"Well, you were asleep for 2 hours," Peter said with a slight smile. My eyes widened.

"...wow. I didn't know I was that tired," I said.

"Me either."

"Were you...in here the whole time?" I asked.

"Well...yeah. I had to make sure you weren't gonna escape," he said winking. I rolled my eyes.

"Now you're making it sound like I'm a prisoner."

"Oh sorry," he said, regretful.

"It's okay, I was just kidding," I said, but I kind of wasn't. Why was I being babysat by someone the same age as me?

Suddenly, Peter and I heard the elevator door open from the living space, so we both walked out as I quickly adjusted myself.

"I had that guy! If you hadn't broke down the door to alert him, we wouldn't be in this mess!" I heard Cap say.

Wait a second.

Steve?!?!?

"You weren't even supposed to be there! Your a war criminal Steve!" Tony yelled back.

"I can't stand back while Hydra was still out there. They were gonna hurt her-" Cap started to say, before Peter and I rounded the corner.

He was actually there.

"Steve?" I asked, and he promptly turned to me.

"Y/N," he said in a surprised voice.

"You told me you had her in a safe location," he said, turning back towards Tony.

"This is a safe location!"

"Was she alone here too?!"

"Of course not I had the kid with her!"

"Oh that makes it so much better!"

What were they talking about? I was...I was in trouble?

What...was...going...on?

I turned to Peter for help, since I couldn't stand all the arguing. He guided me out of the room and back into the bedroom. As we got in, he closed the door and I sat on the bed, with my head in my hands.

"What the hell is going on?" I asked aloud.

"Why is Steve back? Why did I need to be in a safe location? Why is there so much god damn yelling I-" I started to say before I was met with warm arms wrapping around me. I didn't even notice I was breaking down.

I guess I...never heard real arguing before. My old guardians never fought. They hardly even talked. I never had so much anger in one place.

The confusion and stress overtook me, as I allowed one tear to fall. I was strong. I know that. But everything was so overwhelming.

I let Peter embrace me, as I let my head onto his shoulder. God. Hugs were so amazing. Today alone I've probably been hugged more than in my whole life.

"I'm-im sorry," he finally whispered. I took deep breaths to calm myself down, trying to match my heartbeat to his.

"I'm...I'm not used to...that," I admitted, and he pulled away gently.

"The arguing?" he asked.

"Yeah. I hate it," I clarified.

"Why am I here, Peter?" I finally asked, hoping he knew. He just sat there.

"I-I think they've calmed down. We should go ask them," he said, clearly avoiding the question. But I didn't bother pushing him on it.

I wiped my tears away and practiced my smile until it looked normal.

We slowly walked out and heard light words being spoken from the living space. We turned the corner and saw Tony, Wanda, Natasha, and Steve all sitting in separate chairs. They all looked up once we were in view. Tony and Steve were the first to stand up, almost at the same time.

"Y/N, we need to tell you something," Tony said, and Steve gave him a look of anger, but then shifted his expression to determined.

"What did you guys mean when you said I needed to be in a safe location?" I asked.

"Come sit, kid," Tony said, patting a seat next to him. I walked over slowly and sat down, my elbows on my knees. Peter leaned against the wall next to me.

"On today's mission, we learned something. There have been people...bad people who did some digging and found out about your accident 11 years ago. Although, they had no idea who it was that was gifted. They got close, kid, but they didn't find you. Your "parents" got word of their search for you, and found you first through the foster system. They are Shield agents, and were instructed to adopt you, and give no further information to you about them," he explained, and I felt like I was gonna faint.

I keep thinking this, but it really is crazy how much my life has changed in the past couple of days.

First it was the car accident. Then, Steve and Fury showing up to my house. Then the fight against Tony and Peter. Then Tony adopting me. Now this. I didn't know how to handle any of it.

My whole god damn life was boring and meaningless. No love. No specialties. No life. Now I was being thrown into situations that not even a normal person could process, let alone someone who has never actually lived, up until a few days ago.

"That was, until the car crash. Through social media, the bad people found you. They gave the information to Hydra, who wanted to take your powers from you, and use them for themselves. Since your young, they assumed you would be easy to take on. Thats when Fury and Steve had to step in and bring you here. And now, you're in danger. We tried to get rid of the last people who knew your identity, but one of them slipped through the cracks," Tony said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I couldn't even think straight.

What the-

This all had to be a joke. I was dreaming. I had to be. As Tony kept talking, his words got fuzzy and were replaced with a strained ringing sound. The world around me got brighter and blurrier. All I could think of was

"I need to lie down..." I said, before I couldn't feel my limbs anymore. It felt like I started to fall off the couch in slow motion. As I fell, I watched Peter's expression change to a deep worry, as he lunged to help me.

Eventually, when I hit the ground, the ringing stopped, and the world cut to black.