verse fifty

I ran to Audrey's home and spent the whole night crying and thinking about Damon's words.

He's in love with me.

And I have no idea what I have to think about it. It's something I've always wanted, and now that I've got it, I run away from him. I love him, but knowing he took the thing I love most about myself, is painful.

The pain is too much.

Today is the day I'll be leaving Hell. And it just won't sink in.

"Angelina," Audrey whispers, and I see the tears well up. I try to smile but fail. "How are you... eh, going to get back?" she asks and wipes a tear away. I breathe in.

"I'll use the last strength I have for my wings to fly to Heaven. I'll get there," I shrug. She nods and gives me a tight hug. Then Steve follows, and Daphne. I even hug Margot for a split second and let go.

"Goodbye," I whisper and walk out of the door. I wipe away a possible tear and walk downstairs. I see Moonlight at the back of the building.

"Hello buddy," I whisper. Saying goodbye to Moonlight will be the hardest thing to do.

"Katharina."

I bite back a sob and climb on his back. "I'll miss you," I whisper.

"Getting to know you was a true honor."

A tear knows to escape its way from my eye, and over my cheeks. "I'm so thankful I ran into you that day," I say.

"Where are you taking me?" I ask after some time of Moonlight walking.

"To the mountain where Satan arrived when he got banned from Hell. It's the closest thing that's located to Heaven, to make it easier for you."

I nod and let him take me to the mountain. It's a somber day, the sky is gray and I feel the cold wind slip past my body.

Faster than I wanted, we arrive at the top of a mountain and I climb off Moonlight's back. When I stretch my wings, I cringe in pain.

"Are you okay?"

I sigh in frustration and shake my head. I take a deep breath, and try to fly. My feet don't even get one inch off the ground. I try again, but end up with the same result.

"Angel."

I instantly turn around and see Damon behind me. The breath hitches in my throat when I see his black wings.

"I know I'm not worth your forgiveness," he begins, "and I know I deserve it. But please, let me help you."

I frown, not knowing what he means.

"Let me fly you up to Heaven."

My eyes widen. "W-what?" I ask, dumbfounded.

He sighs. "I know how badly you want to return," he says. I raise my hand, stopping him.

"I'm not mad at you because you took away the possibility of going home. I'm angry at you because you took my wings away," I say. He nods. "I know," he sighs, "but the thought of you staying here and hating me for eternity is more painful than the thought of you being gone, and still carrying me in your heart."

I forbid myself of getting carried away by his words. "Damon," I begin. "No," he says, "please, let me take you to Heaven. That's the least I can do."

I look at Moonlight and see him nod. "You have the right to be happy. To return to where you belong."

I nod and turn back to Damon. "Alright," I whisper and glance at Moonlight. I kneel beside him and press a kiss against his head.

"I love you, you know that," I whisper, and a tear slips away. When I look back into his eyes, I see them turn glossy too.