verse forty-eight

I feel numb and weak. I can't do anything, and when I try to open my eyes it's in vain. "Hey, Angelina," a deep voice says next to my ear.

I want to say something, but everything that comes out is a whine.

"Shh, you're still weak."

I move my head a little and feel it pounding. My lips are dry, I can't even lick them. My head is placed onto something soft.

Carefully, I try to open my eyes, but as soon as I open them they fall closed again.

The last thing I remember is that I was shot by Matt. "She's waking up," a high-pitched voice says. I take a deep breath and force my eyes open.

The first thing I see is Audrey's green eyes. I let my eyes get used to the light, and I look around in the room.

Next to her stands Steve, who's looking down at me with a hand buried in his red hair.

"Angelina," he smiles relieved. I open my mouth, but nothing comes out. 

"She's awake?" a deep voice asks, full relief. Steve is being pushed aside, and Damon appears in his place. Our eyes meet, and he smiles down at me.

"Angel," he whispers and kneels beside me. I swallow and weakly smile back. "You made it," he whispers and presses his lips against my cheek.

"What..." I croak out, "happened?"

He sighs and looks at the Souls. "Matt took you down with a shot in your stomach," he says. I nod. "I remember that. But what happened after that?"

I see his hands clench into fists. 

"You wanted him to be saved," he grits out, "and Margot respected that decision. Instead of letting the motherfucker die, she did everything she could to save his life."

I smile in relief. "Good," I whisper. "It would've been my fault otherwise."

He looks at me and brushes a strand of hair behind my ear. "But, how did I survive?"

Damon presses his lips into a thin line and swallows. I push myself up a little and see that I'm in the living room, suited on the couch. I push myself up against the couch and look down. A bandage is wrapped around my waist.

I look back at Damon and raise my eyebrows. 

"I tried," he says and shrugs. "I panicked and did everything I could," he says. I nod.

"Thank you," I whisper. He looks over his shoulder, to Audrey and Steve. They look back at him.

"Leave us alone for a minute," Damon orders. They nod and glance at me one more time before they leave the room.

He turns back to me. "I sent the others away, but those two had a little more trouble with listening," he chuckles. 

"For how long was I unconscious?" I ask him.

"A day," he answers. I nod. "Then the damage mustn't be that bad," I say, and want to look at my wound. Damon looks down before he looks back into my eyes.

"I, eh..." he begins. "I didn't save you in the way you think I did," he says and bites the corner of his mouth. He lifts his hands, waking the curiosity in me.

He sighs, and I see the muscles in his arms work. The veins are popping out, and my jaw drops to the ground when I see light coming out of the palm of his hand, creating rays of light in the room.

He stops, and then he unwraps the bandage from my waist. I watch and surprise, and see that I'm all healed up. Literally.

"I healed you, but the others think I stitched you up," he explains. "You have... powers," I whisper. He smiles.