verse twenty-eight

I have to do something, but I don't know what. The awkward silence that Margot created is just unbearable, so I decide to ask something.

"Is there a library?" I ask no one in particular. First, there are a couple of looks exchanged between the Souls, but then Steve decides to answer.

"There's only one, in the town of the Oldest Souls. If you like horror, that's the perfect place for you to go," he says.

I frown. "And there's no other one?"

They all shrug.

"Not that I know of, and the only one I know is the one Steve says," Daphne tells me. But that doesn't stop me from going there.

My curiosity takes over, and I want to do some research.

"You can go if you want to, but not with me," Celine mumbles, and Margot and Evelyn nod, agreeing with her. I roll my eyes and look at Steve and Daphne.

Both look like they're still not sure if they'll go with me. I pout.

Steve gives in.

"Fine, I'll be waiting in the car," he sighs, making me smile. He stands up.

"I'll go too," Daphne says and follows Steve's motions.

Margot, Evelyn, and Celine look at each other. No, please no.

"We're going too," Margot says. My smile fades.

"Okay," is my answer.

We all stand up and walk to the door. But as we arrive downstairs and walk to Steve's car, I notice that we're with six people, and in Steve's car only fit five. Everyone looks at each other, and then at me. Without asking, I know what they mean.

"Alright, I'll fly," I sigh. Steve smiles relieved at me, and Daphne does the same.

I wait patiently until they are all settled in the car and then I stretch my wings. When the car starts driving, I start flying. The wind is refreshing and it's a pleasant feeling.

I always used to think that it was a myth that Angels had wings, but I'm glad it's not.

My wings give me a feeling of freedom like I can escape everything.

I'm so attached to them, it's like I always had them.

As I continue to fly, I notice that the buildings turn into bald trees with dead grass surrounding them.

The sky is clouded, and it looks like a desert here.

I hope Moonlight hid the key well because Damon is getting suspicious.

Sighing, I fly further and do not realize that we're already by the library.

I look up and land on the ground. In front of me, there's a huge castle with two big towers. I mean, it looks like a castle.

It's old and abandoned as ghosts live there. Crows fly around the two towers of the building, making it look creepier than it already looks.

Giant, old, and dead trees surround the castle.

I swallow.

Steve was right. My heart starts beating faster.

"Are you afraid?" the mocking voice of Celine asks.

I turn around and stare bravely back at her. "No," I say and look back at the building.

"Are you ready?" I ask the others. First, they look at each other, but then they nod.