verse twenty-four

I watch how Moonlight walks to Damon's house, and right in front of the door, he stands still. For a couple of minutes, he just stands there, in front of the steps that lead to the door, and for a second, I even think that Damon isn't home, but then the door opens, and he steps outside.

His hair is messy, and his shirt is a bit crooked like he was in a rush getting downstairs. I wonder what he was doing.

I scrunch my nose up when unwelcomed images come flashing in my mind.

When Damon stands in front of Moonlight, he looks at him for a long time before he starts talking.

And then he stops talking for a while and begins again.

I assume that he's talking with Moonlight. His famous smirk appears on his face and then he nods. Together they walk away, to the side of his house into the woods.

I wait a minute, watching how their moving figures disappear between the trees. After a minute or two, I decide to sneak up to his house. I walk on his porch and I run to the front door.

When I arrive at the giant doors, I stop for a minute. I put my hands on my knees and rest for a second before I take a deep breath and stand back up. I put my hand on the doorknob, and push the door open.

As quiet as I can I walk into his house, in search of the staircase that leads to the dungeon. While I do that, I try to think where the key could be from the Destruction-door. 

I'm desperate to free Hakan. I walk into a room and see the one thing I was looking for.

The staircase.

Relieved that I found it, I look around me to see if no one's spying on me.

When I see nobody, I grab the flashlight and turn it on.

Carefully, I try not to make a sound as I descend the stairs.

When I arrive downstairs I shiver, the cold wind slips along my back causing all the hairs to rise. I start walking down the hallway and check every room, looking into each window hoping that I'll see the pink hair of Audrey.

When I'm finished walking on the left side of the hall I sigh disappointedly. I walk to the right side and look through every window as well.

When I pass the Destruction-door, my hands itch to kick the door open and take Hakan with me. When I look in each window, I see a broken Soul staring ahead of them.

A lump forms in my throat. I walk further down the hall and continue to search for Audrey. When I arrive at the end of the hall I sigh and lean against the wall.

Where are you, Audrey?

And then my eye falls on the Destruction-door. I narrow my eyes and walk over to it. With the pocket knife in my hands, I walk slowly to the door and shine with my flashlight on the lock. I put the knife in the lock, and start wriggling around with it.

I force the knife in the lock, twisting and turning it in every way, but the door won't budge.

Angrily, I kick the door with my foot.

Again, the door keeps staring stubbornly at me, mocking me in silence.

I bet that Damon has the key hidden somewhere. Again, I walk as quiet as I can upstairs. When I'm upstairs, I look around the room and decide to go to the living room. When I'm there I let my intuition free.

Come on, Angelina. Where's Damon's room?

I look to my left and right, and take the staircase I took with Damon when I was sick.