Chapter-26

I fought the dream with all my might- I couldn't risk having it here, not at the Burmonte's. Much to my dismay and horror, I completely failed in gaining control and was sucked into a dark alley again.

This time, the victim was a young blonde girl who had a look of complete terror on her face. The figure circled her with the slow graceful gait of a predator. She breathed hard as he grabbed hold of her arm. She screamed and was promptly gagged by the figure. He took something from his belt and I saw the sharp glint of steel. He reached out a hand and stabbed her. Blood began spreading over her clothes and seeping through her clothes. I felt tears well up in my eyes and I began my mournful wail, my heart full of sorrow again. The dream flickered and before it ended, I smelled the faint smell of roses again.

Suddenly, I was being shaken awake by someone and the dream trickled from my grasp. Gasping, I opened my eyes and sat up. Elara was standing over me with a concerned expression on her face.

"What's wrong?" she asked worriedly. "Are you hurt? I thought I heard you cry out-"

"She's not ill," said Ethan. He was leaning against the door with his arms crossed and was staring at me. "Are you, Adriana?"

I opened my mouth but shut it again. There was nothing I could do now. Outside, the rain had stopped as I'd seen in my dream. I knew it wouldn't do any good hiding my powers- one look at Ethan's face told me he'd already guessed it.

"Adriana," said Ethan softly, coming over to sit on the bed. Elara scooted over to make room. I stared at him and felt myself getting lost in his eyes again.

"Have you felt unusually sick recently? Like your thoughts were spinning or you felt like fainting?"

I could have lied but I didn't want to. I was so sick of the secrets, of not knowing anything and of having to find out everything myself. I know that this was probably not the best course of action but I couldn't think straight when I looked at Ethan.

I simply nodded.

"That's because your powers were emerging," said Elara. "Though I'm still not sure what they are."

"I saw you the other day at the library and you had this article about a banshee."

I didn't say anything but I didn't need to. Ethan took my hand. It was too much for me. Tears welled up in my eyes- tears I'd been holding in for too long. I'd not confided in anyone about this and until this moment I'd not realised how much I'd needed to. Within a minute, I was crying uncontrollably. All the deaths kept replaying in my head.

Both the siblings comforted me and Elara removed her locket from her neck. It was the red locket that had glittered unnaturally when I'd seen it.

"This is something to keep you safe. Every supernatural being needs a few protection spells on the reception of their powers. Since you haven't had any of these done, I want you to have this."

"I couldn't possibly..." I protested feebly as she firmly pressed it into my hand.

"I want you to have it."

"Why do we need protection spells?" I asked sniffling.

"So no one can corrupt our power," said Ethan interrupting her. "You should keep it- it will look good on you." He grinned at me slightly and I smiled back weakly.

"It has my last drop of human blood before turning," said Elara, squeezing my other hand. "And it will keep you safe."

I nodded and put it around my neck. Elara and Ethan urged me to go to sleep again and were just about to go out when a thought struck me.

"Ethan?" I said softly. "Did you compel me just now? To tell you whether I'd felt sick?"

He looked surprised.

"Why would I even do that?"

"It's just that I felt as though I couldn't think straight when I looked at you," I mumbled and then immediately turned red. I realised what it must have sounded like and blushed.

It was so embarrassing. Ethan smirked at me and left after saying good night. I groaned. Why was I like this?

I was just about to fall asleep when I began to feel a different kind of drowsiness. Another dream was on its way. I was so tired I couldn't even muster the energy to resist it. I found myself standing in the white wispy clouds again. Azari was standing in front of me looking grim.

The dream flickered and she looked at me.

"Adriana," she said slowly. As always, she was dressed in the dark dress with the bloodstain on it. Her long hair dripped with water and it fanned around her head like a dark cloud.

"Azari?"

"Adriana, you've got to be careful. Something ominous heads your way and danger awaits you."

"What?" I didn't understand why was she giving me this cryptic warning. It was frustrating how I never seemed to get any answers from her, no matter how hard I tried to ask.

"Do you understand?" she thundered and I winced. Her loud voice echoed through the dream.

"Wait- don't leave yet! I want some answers!" I yelled back as a huge gust of wind rippled through the dream, nearly knocking me off my feet.

"You're in danger," she repeated, looking angry and concerned at the same time.

"From whom?" I yelled in frustration.

"Adriana, listen to me," she said, grabbing my arm. It felt too cold and not nearly solid. I gasped in surprise. It was like being doused in cold water.

"You need to wake up now," she said urgently. "Something terrible is headed your way."

"What are you talking about? And how do you even know this? You are dead, aren't you?"

She smiled at me sadly.

"I can feel what's going to happen to you."

"Why?"

"Because I share your blood. Because we are a family."

I simply stared at her.

"What are you talking about?" I demanded.

"I'm your mother."