Chapter-25

I had left work early, eager to catch Sarah's grandmother today and ask her if she knew anything about Azari or had some cure for my 'powers'. Ethan had told me they were witches and now I needed their help. I remembered that the witch had been trying to tell me something on my first day here but I'd freaked out on seeing her. 

I slammed the car door shut, turning my collar up against the cold wind. It had grown dark even though it was only mid-afternoon. It looked like it was about to rain. I entered the herb shop, bracing myself for the gust of hot air. The door jingled and I looked at the person behind the counter in surprise. It was neither Sarah nor her grandmother but a teenage boy of about sixteen with a sullen face. 

"Hello," I said, smiling at him. "I need to see um, Sarah's grandma." 

"She's gone over to the Burmonte's," he said, without looking up. Leaving him, I got back into the car again. I drove as fast as I could for I wanted to go home before the weather worsened. I remembered Caleb's warning but there was nothing I could have done about it now. I needed to see the old witch desperately. 

I stopped the car as soon as I reached the hill. Climbing out of the car, I made my way up the hill, the wind nearly knocking me off my feet. I finally reached the huge manor and paused outside the gates. 

With the huge dark clouds and thunder rumbling overhead, the house looked terrifying. I remembered Sabrina's story of all those people committing suicide and wondered if that part was true. The house looked like a true castle of vampires. Steeling myself, I raised my hand to ring the doorbell. By now it had started to rain and huge cold droplets fell down my neck, making me jump. 

Elara opened the door, looking flustered but still beautiful. I smiled at her nervously. I'd liked the Burmonte's but Caleb's warning had made me paranoid. 

"Adriana!" she exclaimed, looking surprised. "I didn't expect to see you here." 

"You always say that." I sighed. "Anyway, I'm um, looking for Sarah's grandma..." 

"Sarah's grandma?" 

"You know the old woman, who Ethan said was a witch..." 

"I know who she is silly," she said, rolling her eyes. "It's just that- why would she even be here? She hardly ever steps out of her house. She can't travel long distances, much less climb a hill." 

"Oh." I bit my lip. "But the boy down at the shop said she'd be here." 

"He must have meant Sarah," she said frowning. "She just left minutes before you came up here." 

I felt like groaning in frustration. The long ride and the hard climb had been for nothing. Elara led the way to the living room and went to the kitchen to get me something to eat despite my protests. I entered the living room and looked out of the window in dismay. The rain was falling in torrents and lightning was flashing around. 

"Hello there." said a low voice. I turned around and saw Ethan sprawled on the sofa with his dark hair rumpled and messy. The small table in front of him was covered in gruesome photos of the bodies and what looked like forensic and police reports. He saw me looking at them and sighed. He was wearing all black like he usually did.

"I've just been trying to figure out which vampire could have done this." 

"And have you?." I asked. 

He looked grim. 

"I don't know- there are too many possibilities." he ran a hand through his hair in frustration. "I can't find a single clue."

I stared at him thoughtfully. Had he really found no clue or was he just covering up his own tracks? It was hard to be sure. To my surprise, I found myself wanting him to be innocent.

"I'm back," said Elara cheerfully, startling us both. She handed me a juice bottle and sat down on the couch beside her brother. 

"Do you think the rain will stop anytime soon?" I asked worriedly. "I've got to go back." 

"I doubt it," said Elara sympathetically. "Once the weather around here gets bad, there's no telling when it will clear up." 

"I suppose I could take my chances out in the rain," I said. 

"Certainly not," said Ethan firmly. "It's slippery out there and could be dangerous." 

"I agree," said Elara nodding. "You have to stay the night." 

I agreed after many protests from both Ethan and Elara. Ethan continued to study the reports while Elara and I wandered around the house. It was so huge and had such an ancient feel, I felt myself falling in love with the place. 

When we came to the closed door again, I felt myself retracing my steps quickly. Ethan had snapped at me when I'd asked about it and I had no wish to go near it again. The room had a sad feeling about it and I had no desire to invade the family's privacy by snooping around. 

We'd just entered the living room again when Ethan exclaimed. 

"I've got it!" 

"Got what?" asked Elara, peering over his shoulder at the papers. 

"I know what the victims have in common. At first, I thought they were random but now, when I looked closely I saw all of them have some sort of magical traces in their blood." 

"Yeah, but so does like half the town," said Elara sceptically. 

"The victims had magical ancestors not too far down their family. And all of them did not have any sort of powers- just magical blood." 

"Why does the killer want such people?" asked Elara slowly. 

Ethan sighed in frustration. 

"I can't figure it out. For a spell maybe? That kind of blood holds power." 

"That's a long shot." 

"I know." 

I listened to their exchange silently. The victims were being used for a spell. That much I knew. But who was using them? 

I was lost in thought when I realised how late it was. Elara offered to take me to the guest bedroom for it was still raining outside. I'd just closed the door when I began to feel very sleepy. I was going to have another dream soon.